Benefits shouldn’t be ripped away
Published: Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Updated: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 23:09
There have been rumors going around that ETSU will outsource the custodial jobs to a contracting company, thus disassociating 100 workers from the ETSU benefits and privileges.
While the change may save a minimal amount of cost, some people are asking why custodians need benefits.
1) A surgery, a specialist or a dentist will be needed to help fix us and our families.
2) We can contract colds, flus and viruses. We do become ill like other people.
3) Some of us do take advantage of the schooling at ETSU, along with access to the CPA, the food court in the Culp, or the training and development classes.
4) Taking a sick day or asking for a day off has never been a hassle.
5) Beyond popular belief, we actually do like paid time off.
Please reconsider before telling a worker of any job that they are not worth the money they make. Or that starting with custodial is the best way to save money.
Everyone needs benefits.
What would you do if your company wanted to rip your benefits away?
— R.E. Morgan