Poor Richard's to reopen on Friday
internet watchdog, you clearly don't get hate speech. Anonymous #comment 2
The good times are about to roll once again at the iconic Poor Richard's. The famous spot for East Tennessee State University nightlife is set to re-open this Friday.
The new owners, ETSU student Donna Vitoux and Daniel Shell are aiming to restore Poor Richard's back to its glory days. There are lots of reasons to be excited about Poor Richard's opening its doors again.
First of all, c'mon, it's Poor Richard's! It's one of the oldest and most iconic hang-out spots in Johnson City. It's a place about having fun and it's all set up for anyone. Whether you're an ETSU student or just a regular resident of the Tri-Cities, Poor Richard's invites anyone to come in and enjoy themselves.
Poor Richard's isn't music-specific either. One night they may be playing country or Southern rock while the next night they may have a DJ.
Students who go to the official re-opening on Friday will be in for a real treat, as Brad Puckett will be performing live in concert at 8 p.m. He will also be shooting a live music video.
Speaking of country music, another cool aspect of Poor Richard's that some may not know about is that one of Kenny Chesney's latest hit songs, "When I See This Bar," is specifically about Poor Richard's.
Poor Richard's will be open that day from 11 a.m. until, as they put it, "they kick you out." Shell and Vitous were unsure whether they would stay open from 11 a.m., or just re-open again later that evening.
As to the food aspect, students and the like can go check out the handiwork of Bryan Hilton.
Hilton has worked at the deli for 26 years and has his own unique recipes.
ETSU students and faculty receive a 10 percent discount on food with the presentation of a valid ETSU ID. Also, be aware that the night time festivities are always ages 18+.
The fun is all there. Walking through those front doors again filled me with a renewed excitement about what Poor Richard's has the potential to be. I can tell you there's a pretty good chance you'll catch me hanging out there at some point in the near future.
Poor Richard's is located on 825 W. Walnut St., Johnson City.
For more information about Poor Richard's, call 423-926-8611 or visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Poor-Richards
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections