ETSU meets Jacksonville, beginning final homestand
The ETSU women's basketball team will close out this season's home slate by welcoming a pair of teams from the River City to the ETSU/MSHA Athletics Center; beginning first with the Jacksonville Dolphins on Thursday evening at 7 p.m.
Carrying the momentum from a victory at Kennesaw State two days prior, the Bucs struggled from the jump at Mercer. Early turnovers proved costly as the Bears quickly turned them into points.
Hot shooting from Mercer throughout also proved to be problematic. The duo of Shamauria Bridges and Tiana Burley carried ETSU's offense in the first half and continued on to score 16 of the team's 25 points in the second half.
In the end, the Blue & Gold were outmatched to the tune of an 80-50 defeat. Freshman guard Bridges recorded a team- and season-high 20 points, while Burley contributed 17 points and a game-high tying eight rebounds.
ETSU (8-17, 4-10) and Jacksonville (10-15, 7-7) will square off Thursday in the 21st all-time meeting between the two schools; a series that ETSU leads, 14-6.
The Bucs won the last meeting with the Dolphins in Johnson City, 74-57, on Jan. 28, 2013. In the most recent matchup between the two teams earlier this season, JU came away victorious, 73-56, on Jan. 30 inside Veterans Memorial Arena.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care