ETSU meets Jacksonville, beginning final homestand
The ETSU women's basketball team will close out this season's home slate by welcoming a pair of teams from the River City to the ETSU/MSHA Athletics Center; beginning first with the Jacksonville Dolphins on Thursday evening at 7 p.m.
Carrying the momentum from a victory at Kennesaw State two days prior, the Bucs struggled from the jump at Mercer. Early turnovers proved costly as the Bears quickly turned them into points.
Hot shooting from Mercer throughout also proved to be problematic. The duo of Shamauria Bridges and Tiana Burley carried ETSU's offense in the first half and continued on to score 16 of the team's 25 points in the second half.
In the end, the Blue & Gold were outmatched to the tune of an 80-50 defeat. Freshman guard Bridges recorded a team- and season-high 20 points, while Burley contributed 17 points and a game-high tying eight rebounds.
ETSU (8-17, 4-10) and Jacksonville (10-15, 7-7) will square off Thursday in the 21st all-time meeting between the two schools; a series that ETSU leads, 14-6.
The Bucs won the last meeting with the Dolphins in Johnson City, 74-57, on Jan. 28, 2013. In the most recent matchup between the two teams earlier this season, JU came away victorious, 73-56, on Jan. 30 inside Veterans Memorial Arena.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move