Wrestling Club coach earns 500th career win
Matt Allen contemplates a sculpture by Catherine Murray, chair of the Department of Art & Design, outside Ball Hall. Seth Johns
The Wrestling Club at ETSU has been very active over the past few weeks and is looking forward to hosting National Conference Tournament the first weekend of March.
Over the past few weeks, the Wrestling Club has been hosting meets at the BCPA against many other club teams that also compete for the National Tournament.
Wrestling Club President Nic Shields has formed the Wrestling Club into a club to that is competing nationally.
"Looking at our club now, the Wrestling Club at ETSU has their best chance of bringing home a male All-American Winner from Nationals," Shields said.
The Wrestling Club at ETSU competed against the clubs at Southern Virginia University, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Tennessee Temple University and Wake Forest University.
The Wrestling Club, as a team, beat SVU and UTK in the first weekend of competition.
A few standouts in the Wrestling Club at ETSU includes: Markevis Duncan, who has already qualified to compete in the national tournament, and Ma'Nako Peay, who is establishing himself as one of the top wrestlers.
Don Elia, coach of the Wrestling Club at ETSU, previously coached at Carson-Newman University and is founder of the East Tennessee Wrestling Association. He has been coaching wrestling for more than 30 years.
Elia founded the Wrestling Club at ETSU and has been leading the team to national tournaments.
Elia recently acquired his 500th career team win as a wrestling coach. He is 1 of 6 coaches to reach 500 career wins in wrestling history.
The Wrestling Club at ETSU will host the Mid-Atlantic Conference Tournament in Brooks Gym on Friday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, March 1.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy