Wrestling Club coach earns 500th career win
Matt Allen contemplates a sculpture by Catherine Murray, chair of the Department of Art & Design, outside Ball Hall. Seth Johns
The Wrestling Club at ETSU has been very active over the past few weeks and is looking forward to hosting National Conference Tournament the first weekend of March.
Over the past few weeks, the Wrestling Club has been hosting meets at the BCPA against many other club teams that also compete for the National Tournament.
Wrestling Club President Nic Shields has formed the Wrestling Club into a club to that is competing nationally.
"Looking at our club now, the Wrestling Club at ETSU has their best chance of bringing home a male All-American Winner from Nationals," Shields said.
The Wrestling Club at ETSU competed against the clubs at Southern Virginia University, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Tennessee Temple University and Wake Forest University.
The Wrestling Club, as a team, beat SVU and UTK in the first weekend of competition.
A few standouts in the Wrestling Club at ETSU includes: Markevis Duncan, who has already qualified to compete in the national tournament, and Ma'Nako Peay, who is establishing himself as one of the top wrestlers.
Don Elia, coach of the Wrestling Club at ETSU, previously coached at Carson-Newman University and is founder of the East Tennessee Wrestling Association. He has been coaching wrestling for more than 30 years.
Elia founded the Wrestling Club at ETSU and has been leading the team to national tournaments.
Elia recently acquired his 500th career team win as a wrestling coach. He is 1 of 6 coaches to reach 500 career wins in wrestling history.
The Wrestling Club at ETSU will host the Mid-Atlantic Conference Tournament in Brooks Gym on Friday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, March 1.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- KORU LAUNCHES NEW, UNIQUE JOB FINDER FOR COLLEGE GRADS
- Amazon Student Celebrates Fall with Exclusive Deals and Scholarships
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games