Wichita State close to perfect record
Like any collegiate sport, basketball is a very competitive game that has grown increasingly tough over the last few decades.
This is because athletes everywhere are becoming bigger, faster and stronger.
Those three things are leading to an overall more equal playing field for all sports.
That makes what the Wichita State Shockers did Tuesday night even more impressive. The Shockers improved their record to 30-0 to become the first Division 1 men's basketball team to ever reach 30 wins in the regular season.
Nonetheless, they achieved this mark without losing a single game.
Wichita State (30-0, 17-0 Missouri Valley Conference) held on to the No. 2 ranking in the country and beat Bradley 69-49 Tuesday night.
While 30 wins doesn't mark the best season ever completed, it is best all-time in the regular season.
Even with that, because the school is part of the smaller MVC, people aren't exactly lining up to place bets that Wichita State will win the National Championship in April.
Any team that can win that many games has to be doing something right but the Shockers may have more doubters than believers.
However, the Shockers deserve more credit than they are being given.
The team reached the Final Four just a year ago and has won 31 out of their last 32 games leading back to last season.
Their Elite Eight upset-win over the Ohio State Buckeyes appears to have started a tremendous amount of momentum for them that they are carrying all the way through this campaign.
In all sports, momentum and experience are both usually huge factors in determining the outcome of a game.
The streak that the Shockers have may not be seen by some as overly impressive because of their conference, but their experience and momentum can't be overlooked.
The doubters may not be considering that this team has the experience of running through "The Big Dance" and has momentum on their side. Plus, regardless of conference, 30 wins in a regular season is obviously no easy feat and proves that they are a very talented team.
Their offense is balanced and their defense is tenacious. Those two things mixed with a tremendous amount of heart have led the Shockers to the No. 2 national-ranking, a potential No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a spot in the history books.
With March Madness just around the corner, Wichita State will look to complete a perfect regular season Saturday at home against Missouri State before heading to the conference tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
- Program aims to aid people in recovery from eating disorders
- Storytelling department performs for NEDA week
- Grant proposal deadline approaches
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone