Wichita State close to perfect record
Like any collegiate sport, basketball is a very competitive game that has grown increasingly tough over the last few decades.
This is because athletes everywhere are becoming bigger, faster and stronger.
Those three things are leading to an overall more equal playing field for all sports.
That makes what the Wichita State Shockers did Tuesday night even more impressive. The Shockers improved their record to 30-0 to become the first Division 1 men's basketball team to ever reach 30 wins in the regular season.
Nonetheless, they achieved this mark without losing a single game.
Wichita State (30-0, 17-0 Missouri Valley Conference) held on to the No. 2 ranking in the country and beat Bradley 69-49 Tuesday night.
While 30 wins doesn't mark the best season ever completed, it is best all-time in the regular season.
Even with that, because the school is part of the smaller MVC, people aren't exactly lining up to place bets that Wichita State will win the National Championship in April.
Any team that can win that many games has to be doing something right but the Shockers may have more doubters than believers.
However, the Shockers deserve more credit than they are being given.
The team reached the Final Four just a year ago and has won 31 out of their last 32 games leading back to last season.
Their Elite Eight upset-win over the Ohio State Buckeyes appears to have started a tremendous amount of momentum for them that they are carrying all the way through this campaign.
In all sports, momentum and experience are both usually huge factors in determining the outcome of a game.
The streak that the Shockers have may not be seen by some as overly impressive because of their conference, but their experience and momentum can't be overlooked.
The doubters may not be considering that this team has the experience of running through "The Big Dance" and has momentum on their side. Plus, regardless of conference, 30 wins in a regular season is obviously no easy feat and proves that they are a very talented team.
Their offense is balanced and their defense is tenacious. Those two things mixed with a tremendous amount of heart have led the Shockers to the No. 2 national-ranking, a potential No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a spot in the history books.
With March Madness just around the corner, Wichita State will look to complete a perfect regular season Saturday at home against Missouri State before heading to the conference tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!