Wichita State close to perfect record
Like any collegiate sport, basketball is a very competitive game that has grown increasingly tough over the last few decades.
This is because athletes everywhere are becoming bigger, faster and stronger.
Those three things are leading to an overall more equal playing field for all sports.
That makes what the Wichita State Shockers did Tuesday night even more impressive. The Shockers improved their record to 30-0 to become the first Division 1 men's basketball team to ever reach 30 wins in the regular season.
Nonetheless, they achieved this mark without losing a single game.
Wichita State (30-0, 17-0 Missouri Valley Conference) held on to the No. 2 ranking in the country and beat Bradley 69-49 Tuesday night.
While 30 wins doesn't mark the best season ever completed, it is best all-time in the regular season.
Even with that, because the school is part of the smaller MVC, people aren't exactly lining up to place bets that Wichita State will win the National Championship in April.
Any team that can win that many games has to be doing something right but the Shockers may have more doubters than believers.
However, the Shockers deserve more credit than they are being given.
The team reached the Final Four just a year ago and has won 31 out of their last 32 games leading back to last season.
Their Elite Eight upset-win over the Ohio State Buckeyes appears to have started a tremendous amount of momentum for them that they are carrying all the way through this campaign.
In all sports, momentum and experience are both usually huge factors in determining the outcome of a game.
The streak that the Shockers have may not be seen by some as overly impressive because of their conference, but their experience and momentum can't be overlooked.
The doubters may not be considering that this team has the experience of running through "The Big Dance" and has momentum on their side. Plus, regardless of conference, 30 wins in a regular season is obviously no easy feat and proves that they are a very talented team.
Their offense is balanced and their defense is tenacious. Those two things mixed with a tremendous amount of heart have led the Shockers to the No. 2 national-ranking, a potential No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a spot in the history books.
With March Madness just around the corner, Wichita State will look to complete a perfect regular season Saturday at home against Missouri State before heading to the conference tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Number of students housing on campus falls
- SGA pursues student parking rights on campus
- ETSU investigates rape allegations
- Album offers listeners stimulating experience
- CPA offers variety of yoga
- Documentary about toxins leaking into a community’s drinking water will be...
- ‘Blackfish’ questions animal captivity
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership