Students move home to save
Some ETSU students are saving money by deciding to live off campus. The rising cost of high education and recent stagnation in salaries may be forcing families to either downsize their children's on-campus housing options or have them commute to the university.
"Parents are experiencing more and more financial issues," said Bonnie Burchett, director of the ETSU Department of Housing and Residence Life. "Financial aid is not increasing substantially, but the cost of tuition, meals and housing are all increasing."
Students wishing to avoid student loans are finding new cost-effective options for higher education.
Housing is one of the highest expenditures, making it worthwhile for students to consider the cheapest option possible.
Approximately 75 percent of the ETSU student body is drawn from the surrounding area.
"A lot of this information is anecdotal, I don't think we can indicate this with a particular statistic," Burchett said. "But whenever a student applies for housing, makes a deposit and, then, leaves mid-semester, we ask them to give us a reason. A lot of the reasons have to do with moving home."
ETSU's occupancy is lower this semester than it has been in a while.
During the 2013 fall semester, ETSU was at 93 percent occupancy. This semester, on-campus housing is at 88 percent occupancy.
"I think students are having to look at their budgets now," Burchett said. "I'm hearing a lot of students and their parents saying, 'We don't want to borrow money anymore.' This is factoring into their housing decisions."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now