Longtime cheerleader sets new goals
East Tennessee State University cheerleader Jacy Richardson is a 19-year-old sophomore. She is originally from Kingsport, and is majoring in digital media.
"I have been cheering for as long as I can remember," Richardson said. "I believe I started cheering on a team when I was in fourth grade."
Besides being in the sport of cheerleading for about 11 years, she feels that her highest achievement in the sport of cheerleading is being able to cheer at the college level, especially at ETSU.
"I was drawn to the team here at ETSU for it is an all girls' team," she said, "and I feel that my biggest accomplishment is continuing my cheering career into college."
Richardson said that she can't wait for the new football team and for next year's season to start so the cheerleading squad can rally the crowd during football games as well.
"I am excited for all the preparation and heightened ETSU pride for this new addition," she said.
And for this season, Richardson said that she hopes to land some difficult gymnastics to perform during the basketball games.
"I hope to solidly land a back tuck with my pompoms during a basketball game," she said.
A back tuck is basically like a backflip but with no hands and the athlete tucks in their knees while at the same time touching their knee with their hands during the flip.
Richardson is thankful for the opportunity to cheer at games and participate in events throughout the community, she said.
The team participates in community service as well, cheering for different community events as well as just helping the Johnson City community.
Once Richardson concludes her cheerleading career at ETSU, she plans to aid others in the pursuit of cheerleading.
"I plan on continuing to help other girls in succeeding in cheerleading by coaching," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!