Longtime cheerleader sets new goals
East Tennessee State University cheerleader Jacy Richardson is a 19-year-old sophomore. She is originally from Kingsport, and is majoring in digital media.
"I have been cheering for as long as I can remember," Richardson said. "I believe I started cheering on a team when I was in fourth grade."
Besides being in the sport of cheerleading for about 11 years, she feels that her highest achievement in the sport of cheerleading is being able to cheer at the college level, especially at ETSU.
"I was drawn to the team here at ETSU for it is an all girls' team," she said, "and I feel that my biggest accomplishment is continuing my cheering career into college."
Richardson said that she can't wait for the new football team and for next year's season to start so the cheerleading squad can rally the crowd during football games as well.
"I am excited for all the preparation and heightened ETSU pride for this new addition," she said.
And for this season, Richardson said that she hopes to land some difficult gymnastics to perform during the basketball games.
"I hope to solidly land a back tuck with my pompoms during a basketball game," she said.
A back tuck is basically like a backflip but with no hands and the athlete tucks in their knees while at the same time touching their knee with their hands during the flip.
Richardson is thankful for the opportunity to cheer at games and participate in events throughout the community, she said.
The team participates in community service as well, cheering for different community events as well as just helping the Johnson City community.
Once Richardson concludes her cheerleading career at ETSU, she plans to aid others in the pursuit of cheerleading.
"I plan on continuing to help other girls in succeeding in cheerleading by coaching," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending