RTVF department to hold studio unveiling
Jonathan Adkins, a student worker in the RTVF studio, inspects the new equipment that was bought from money received from a federal stimulus grant. Amanda Milstead
If East Tennessee State University's Radio Television and Film Department had a million dollars, what would they do with it? Current students, alumni, faculty and anyone interested in broadcasting are invited to find out at the RTVF studio unveiling party Monday, April 18.
"We had equipment that was 30 years old," said Shara Lange, who is head of the RTVF program. "Now we have the same equipment as News Channel 5."
The program received the money largely from a federal stimulus grant. They purchased new high-definition cameras, wireless microphones, editing software, a huge green screen and over $125,000 of new field equipment. Lange feels that the new equipment will attract RTVF students to ETSU.
"They revamped the entire system. The old equipment was completely obsolete," said master's student Sheridan Crockett. "I think the fact that the money was used in this manner shows a huge amount of support for the program."
Crockett stressed the importance of keeping the equipment in the studio current. Graduates of the program will be trained on the latest gear, which gives them an advantage when seeking employment.
"The old stuff was a good teaching tool, but it really didn't help students obtain jobs," said ETSU senior Jonathan Adkins. "The new equipment is great and I'm glad we were able to get it."
Adkins said he felt that training on the new equipment could score him a job in a city like Los Angeles. Major movie sets use gear similar to the new equipment at ETSU, and he said he was excited about using the new steadicam, crane and switcher.
"I'm probably most excited about the stuff that people wouldn't even ask about," he said. "Our new computer lab that is sporting around 15 Mac Pros and the new 34-ish terabyte EditShare editing server that they are all tied into is awesome."
On top of checking out the new equipment, guests to the studio unveiling party will have an opportunity to watch a documentary about the history of the RTVF program. Amber Kinser, chair of the communications department, is scheduled to address the audience and there will be a live band, food and radio broadcast of the party. Students will be on hand to talk about current projects, along with alumni and former program director, Tom Headley.
"We are really excited to celebrate this as part of the centennial," said Lange. "This is a great opportunity for the department."
The RTVF studio unveiling party will be from 5-8 p.m. in the RTVF studio located in Room 107 on the first floor of Warf-Pickel Hall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership