Mini-Dome features many quirky advantages
The Mini-Dome is a terrible basketball gym, but was a fun quirky, unique, venue to watch a football game.
Yes, the dome has its problems, but its centrally located, no one else has one, and advances in turf eliminate many of the problems the old turf had, namely that it was hard and gave players viscous rug burns. Yes, it was tough to see the near sideline, but from the first few rows you could hear the coach call the plays, and really felt close to the action.
As a basketball gym, almost half the seats are unusable, the lighting is odd, etc.
Furthermore, games at Freedom Hall were well-received by the community and seen as a success by all involved.
Finally, by saving the cost of building from scratch, the athletic department would be well funded to provide top-notch practice and training facilities and all the perks that help recruiting.
- Ray Bennett
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move