Train makes tracks to ETSU
Tropic Thunder stars Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black. Christopher Smith
On Friday a train rolled into East Tennessee State University - not your typical locomotive that our railroad museum would love to have on display, but the 1998 American pop rock band Train.
Before I can get to all of that, let me backtrack a bit down the tracks. The Mini-Dome was chock full of enthusiastic students and other general public. The Mini-Dome was set up in a way that there were no chairs to sit in on the main level, but there was a standing area instead for people who wanted to get closer to the stage.
This was a great improvement from the past concerts where the audience was supposed to stand near their chairs and watch the bands perform. I believe that the chairs limited the energy and overall enjoyment of the performance.
The opening act was none other than the famous Chris Dula! Kryss Dula and Friends was led by none other than Dula himself and other members and faculty of the ETSU student body.
Although I find Dula's original music to be very entertaining, he announced that he would be performing cover songs so the audience wouldn't feel lost and could sing along.
He started off the night by playing a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" and went into other songs, such as a bluegrass version of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice," "Rolling on the River" first recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and finished the night off with "Jenny" (or 867-5309).
Dula's performance was top-notch and worthy of its own show. The amount of energy and enthusiasm that came not only from Dula, but as well as from the whole band was very entertaining. I also liked Dula's message of loving one another and coming together as Americans and as a campus. I hope he gets the opportunity to open for future shows as well.
Next up was the Dirty Guv'nahs. I am not quite familiar with this group, but I was delighted to find out that they were from Knoxville. They came on stage and played their set for about an hour.
They were a well-put-together group. They had quite a bit of talent, but I do not think their energy was up to par with that of the rest of the bands.
It was after the Dirty Guv'nahs that Train came rolling up to the stage with tremendous energy and power. Had I not have already known Train, I would have suspected that they were not new to the business.
I was really impressed with Train's set list. They played almost every one of their singles ("Meet Virginia," "Drops of Jupiter," "Soul Sister," "Marry Me," "Save Me San Francisco") and even a cover of "We are Young" by Fun.
Of all the concerts I have been to, Train involved the audience more than anyone else. The band allowed people to sing into the microphone, invited people on stage, had two lucky girls sing with Patrick Monahan ,and got the crowd to sing along with Monahan, as well to some of his songs - not to forget about the live marriage proposal to their song "Marry Me."
Monahan, the lead vocalist, threw out several free T-shirts and some lucky fans even got signed shirts, as well.
Train's performance at ETSU will not soon be forgotten. It was one of the better concerts held at this campus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus