Food pantry running low on supplies
Bucky's Food Pantry, which assists ETSU students, faculty, and staff, is experiencing shortages of specific items.
"The pantry currently has an abundance of green beans, corn, all soups, peas, and canned beans," said Macy Parham, an academic-performance-scholarship student worker at Bucky's Food Pantry. "However, we are lacking several popular items."
According to the pantry's website, items that are currently needed are pasta, spaghetti sauce, sugar, coffee and creamer, jelly, and size 5 diapers.
Parham said that other ongoing needs include Hamburger Helper, peanut butter, cakes and icings, rice, canned fruit, and breakfast items. The pantry accepts all nonperishable food and personal hygiene items.
"Donation boxes are set up around campus, so donating is extremely convenient," Parham said.
Some of the facilities in which donation boxes can be found include: Warf-Pickel Hall, Nicks Hall, Sherrod Library, Brown Hall, Basler Center for Physical Activity and Burgin Dossett Hall.
The full list of donation box locations can be found on the pantry's website.
Time can be given to help with Bucky's as well. Parham said that there are several volunteer opportunities available for helping with the pantry, both in everyday maintenance of the service and in special events.
"In the fall, there was a Winter Coat Drive that collected over 275 coats, and it would not have been possible without the volunteers," Parham said.
All ETSU students, faculty, and staff in need of assistance are eligible to receive aid from Bucky's Food Pantry.
"The need is great at ETSU, and Bucky's is here to help out," said Parham.
Parham has seen firsthand the positive impact that Bucky's Food Pantry has on the ETSU community. "It is an absolute privilege to be able to see the difference that Bucky's Food Pantry makes in so many lives at ETSU," Parham said. "After one student came in to receive his food last semester, he said: 'You have no idea how much this means to me. I haven't eaten anything besides Ramen noodles the past three weeks. I don't even know how to thank you all.'"
The future of the pantry would be in jeopardy, however, without the donations of the ETSU campus community.
"I cannot stress enough just how vital donations are to Bucky's Food Pantry's success in aiding students and faculty with food insecurity," Parham said. "The items we give out, which are strictly donations, can mean the difference between a student going to sleep every night hungry or not."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists