App informs students of open parking on campus
ETSU Students are now able to check for open parking spaces on campus with their smartphones.
Students are able to download the Streetline application to any smartphone, which has a map and shows how many parking spaces are free in each parking lot on campus.
The application does not include faculty and staff spaces.
"This is exclusively for students," said Karen King, co-chair of the ETSU Technology Access Fee Advisory Committee.
The Streetline application shows the number of parking spaces available in each lot at a glance.
Each lot is color-coded according to how many spaces are available in it.
The color code ranges from green, meaning many parking spaces available, to orange, meaning little or no spaces available.
King said that each student parking space on campus has a censor embedded into it that tells the application which parking spots are open.
The orange cones that have popped up on campus are also part of the new parking system.
"That's to direct the traffic so they can accurately count the number of spaces in the parking lot," she said.
King also said that she hopes to work to get the parking lots renamed because most students are unfamiliar with the numbers that currently name each parking lot.
King says that the application is available now, but the TAF Committee is still working on making the application more accessible for students.
"It'll come to the ETSU app when it's live and working properly," King said.
The parking garage also has this feature, with a sign outside of it showing the number of spots available on each of its four levels.
King said that she hopes the application will be able to be accessed through the ETSU application by next week. It is free to download from the App Store and Android Market.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!