ETSU storms past Morehead State 10-2 in series-clinching win
Clouds loomed over Betty Basler Field during the first few innings of ETSU's rubber game with Morehead State Sunday afternoon, but as the sun began to shine, so, too, did the Buccaneer offense, exploding for 10 runs in the final four innings to seal a 10-2, series-clinching win over the Eagles.
A two-run, game-winning homer by Lizzy Margagliotti lifted Morehead State over ETSU in game two of Saturday's double-header, and it appeared that Margagliotti would haunt the Bucs again Sunday in the final game of the Buccaneer Invitational presented by Holiday Inn.
Outhitting the Eagles, 10-5, the Buccaneers earned a convincing 10-2 win in just six innings via the mercy rule, moving to 9-6 on the season.
Having won nine of their first 15 games, the Bucs are off to the program's best start since 2009 when ETSU went 10-4 to begin the year.
"It's really good to bounce back from the game two loss yesterday," ETSU head coach Brad Irwin said. "We had the focus coming into the day of winning the series. After the split yesterday, that rubber game becomes very important. It was big for us to bounce back."
The Bucs, winners of six of their last seven games, have outscored their opponents 35-6 over the past 39 innings of play.
ETSU will continue non-conference play with a double-header at Eastern Kentucky University Tuesday, March 4 before hosting Mercer for a three-game, conference-opening series beginning Saturday, March 8.
"We still have things to work on, but we feel good," Irwin said.
"The Atlantic Sun is a tough conference. We still have to work on our approach and mentality, but it is exciting to have some momentum going into conference play."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- System recognizes gender spectrum
- ETSU Pride Band opens for Krüger Brothers
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- RTVF students to present original films
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes