ETSU storms past Morehead State 10-2 in series-clinching win
Clouds loomed over Betty Basler Field during the first few innings of ETSU's rubber game with Morehead State Sunday afternoon, but as the sun began to shine, so, too, did the Buccaneer offense, exploding for 10 runs in the final four innings to seal a 10-2, series-clinching win over the Eagles.
A two-run, game-winning homer by Lizzy Margagliotti lifted Morehead State over ETSU in game two of Saturday's double-header, and it appeared that Margagliotti would haunt the Bucs again Sunday in the final game of the Buccaneer Invitational presented by Holiday Inn.
Outhitting the Eagles, 10-5, the Buccaneers earned a convincing 10-2 win in just six innings via the mercy rule, moving to 9-6 on the season.
Having won nine of their first 15 games, the Bucs are off to the program's best start since 2009 when ETSU went 10-4 to begin the year.
"It's really good to bounce back from the game two loss yesterday," ETSU head coach Brad Irwin said. "We had the focus coming into the day of winning the series. After the split yesterday, that rubber game becomes very important. It was big for us to bounce back."
The Bucs, winners of six of their last seven games, have outscored their opponents 35-6 over the past 39 innings of play.
ETSU will continue non-conference play with a double-header at Eastern Kentucky University Tuesday, March 4 before hosting Mercer for a three-game, conference-opening series beginning Saturday, March 8.
"We still have things to work on, but we feel good," Irwin said.
"The Atlantic Sun is a tough conference. We still have to work on our approach and mentality, but it is exciting to have some momentum going into conference play."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections