ETSU storms past Morehead State 10-2 in series-clinching win
Clouds loomed over Betty Basler Field during the first few innings of ETSU's rubber game with Morehead State Sunday afternoon, but as the sun began to shine, so, too, did the Buccaneer offense, exploding for 10 runs in the final four innings to seal a 10-2, series-clinching win over the Eagles.
A two-run, game-winning homer by Lizzy Margagliotti lifted Morehead State over ETSU in game two of Saturday's double-header, and it appeared that Margagliotti would haunt the Bucs again Sunday in the final game of the Buccaneer Invitational presented by Holiday Inn.
Outhitting the Eagles, 10-5, the Buccaneers earned a convincing 10-2 win in just six innings via the mercy rule, moving to 9-6 on the season.
Having won nine of their first 15 games, the Bucs are off to the program's best start since 2009 when ETSU went 10-4 to begin the year.
"It's really good to bounce back from the game two loss yesterday," ETSU head coach Brad Irwin said. "We had the focus coming into the day of winning the series. After the split yesterday, that rubber game becomes very important. It was big for us to bounce back."
The Bucs, winners of six of their last seven games, have outscored their opponents 35-6 over the past 39 innings of play.
ETSU will continue non-conference play with a double-header at Eastern Kentucky University Tuesday, March 4 before hosting Mercer for a three-game, conference-opening series beginning Saturday, March 8.
"We still have things to work on, but we feel good," Irwin said.
"The Atlantic Sun is a tough conference. We still have to work on our approach and mentality, but it is exciting to have some momentum going into conference play."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU screening travelers to countries with known Ebola outbreaks
- ETSU appoints director of Veterans Affairs
- Organizers finalize Sex Week preparations
- ‘Selma’ mirrors controversies in modern America
- Johnson City Community Theatre will hold auditions for RENT Feb. 15 and 16
- Women’s Studies announces spring Women on Wednesdays lineup
- Lady Bucs conquer Lady Terriers, 69-47
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths