ETSU storms past Morehead State 10-2 in series-clinching win
Clouds loomed over Betty Basler Field during the first few innings of ETSU's rubber game with Morehead State Sunday afternoon, but as the sun began to shine, so, too, did the Buccaneer offense, exploding for 10 runs in the final four innings to seal a 10-2, series-clinching win over the Eagles.
A two-run, game-winning homer by Lizzy Margagliotti lifted Morehead State over ETSU in game two of Saturday's double-header, and it appeared that Margagliotti would haunt the Bucs again Sunday in the final game of the Buccaneer Invitational presented by Holiday Inn.
Outhitting the Eagles, 10-5, the Buccaneers earned a convincing 10-2 win in just six innings via the mercy rule, moving to 9-6 on the season.
Having won nine of their first 15 games, the Bucs are off to the program's best start since 2009 when ETSU went 10-4 to begin the year.
"It's really good to bounce back from the game two loss yesterday," ETSU head coach Brad Irwin said. "We had the focus coming into the day of winning the series. After the split yesterday, that rubber game becomes very important. It was big for us to bounce back."
The Bucs, winners of six of their last seven games, have outscored their opponents 35-6 over the past 39 innings of play.
ETSU will continue non-conference play with a double-header at Eastern Kentucky University Tuesday, March 4 before hosting Mercer for a three-game, conference-opening series beginning Saturday, March 8.
"We still have things to work on, but we feel good," Irwin said.
"The Atlantic Sun is a tough conference. We still have to work on our approach and mentality, but it is exciting to have some momentum going into conference play."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs finish with 10-win streak
- Civility Week promotes diversity
- Buctainment hosts Anthem Lights for end of semester concert
- Hopkins' series provokes emotion
- Speaker presents research on greek life and sexual assault
- South Asian Cultural Exchange celebrates Holi day
- Football stadium location may affect facilities
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now