FMLA stands for women everywhere
The ETSU Feminist Majority Leadership Association hosted an event for the 1 Billion Rising movement Thursday night at the Willow Tree Cafe.
1 Billion Rising is a foundation that is driven to stop the domestic and sexual abuse of women around the world, the theme of the night, "Strike, Dance, Rise."
FMLA Vice President Randi Owenby said that the organization wanted to showcase the fact that Johnson City supports survivors of gender-based violence.
Tennessee being ranked No. 3 for domestic violence in the nation, the movement was important to all attendees to the dance benefit.
"Dancing is used as a release, to get out anger and take in a sense of community, " Owenby said.
ETSU professors, students and other members of the community arrived to support the movement.
Owenby started the evening with a reading from Eve Ensler, author of the "Vagina Monologues" and founder of 1 Billion Rising,
Owenby led the movement in the cafÃ© by lifting up one finger in honor of those who were victims, as others followed.
One by one, attendees got up and formed a circle to dance, laugh, clap and have a great time to end violence toward women.
"By standing together we become one body for a common cause - to raise awareness for our community and around the world," Owenby said.
ETSU instructor Terryl Rock and her husband James Countiss attended the event. Being parents to three daughters, they support the 1 Billion Rising movement to stop the violence against women, Rock said. "It's something important to both of us, 1 Billion Rising should be important to everyone."
With $5 donations and profit from the bake sale, the Amazing Woman Foundation of Piney Flats and Safe Passages of Johnson City will benefit from this event.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!