FMLA stands for women everywhere
The ETSU Feminist Majority Leadership Association hosted an event for the 1 Billion Rising movement Thursday night at the Willow Tree Cafe.
1 Billion Rising is a foundation that is driven to stop the domestic and sexual abuse of women around the world, the theme of the night, "Strike, Dance, Rise."
FMLA Vice President Randi Owenby said that the organization wanted to showcase the fact that Johnson City supports survivors of gender-based violence.
Tennessee being ranked No. 3 for domestic violence in the nation, the movement was important to all attendees to the dance benefit.
"Dancing is used as a release, to get out anger and take in a sense of community, " Owenby said.
ETSU professors, students and other members of the community arrived to support the movement.
Owenby started the evening with a reading from Eve Ensler, author of the "Vagina Monologues" and founder of 1 Billion Rising,
Owenby led the movement in the cafÃ© by lifting up one finger in honor of those who were victims, as others followed.
One by one, attendees got up and formed a circle to dance, laugh, clap and have a great time to end violence toward women.
"By standing together we become one body for a common cause - to raise awareness for our community and around the world," Owenby said.
ETSU instructor Terryl Rock and her husband James Countiss attended the event. Being parents to three daughters, they support the 1 Billion Rising movement to stop the violence against women, Rock said. "It's something important to both of us, 1 Billion Rising should be important to everyone."
With $5 donations and profit from the bake sale, the Amazing Woman Foundation of Piney Flats and Safe Passages of Johnson City will benefit from this event.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”