Break bad posture or pay a painful price
Postures are being destroyed by a condition known as Upper Crossed Syndrome. This distortion, characterized by rounded shoulders and excessive upper body flexion, causes constant "slumping over" and can turn a compound exercise like the overhead squat into a complete train wreck. It can also lead to serious issues like rotator cuff impingement.
As troublesome as Upper Crossed Syndrome is, however, there are steps we can take to prevent it and correct it.
Regularly performing pressing movements without also performing pulling movements to balance out muscle groups is one of the main causes of the problem. Putting too much emphasis on exercises like the bench press while ignoring back-building exercises like the deadlift and the bent-over row is a common mistake, especially among those new to exercising.
Though an unbalanced program like this may build a powerful chest and set of anterior deltoids, it can also shorten those muscles while lengthening others, causing the upper body to round forward as a result. Build a resistance training program that includes exercises that work all major muscle groups to avoid throwing proper posture out of whack.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time can also cause Upper Crossed Syndrome among other postural distortions. The reality is most people lose all spinal organization upon sitting down, and this makes it extremely easy to let our shoulders and head drift forward, rounding our upper back. As drastic of a lifestyle change as it may be, we should all try to sit less. Keeping a conscious effort to keep our shoulders back and our heads up when we do have to sit down, however, can save us a lot of postural trouble.
If Upper Crossed Syndrome has already set in, it's nothing a corrective exercise can't take care of. Smashing muscle tissues in the chest, the upper back, and the fronts of the shoulders can help take care of any knots shortening those muscles. Lay on a foam roller, a lacrosse ball, or any other dense object and allow it to sink into knots to take care of any problems.
Focusing on strengthening the upper back can significantly help alleviate the problem. Barbell bent-over rows are perfect for targeting the muscles that are generally weakened by Upper Crossed Syndrome, and is a great exercise for balancing out bench pressing. Grip a barbell with a comfortable, overhand grip at around the same width used for bench pressing and pull it from the floor to the chest/upper abdomen while maintaining a straight back to get great benefits from this exercise.
Performing posterior deltoid raises, deadlifts and dumbbell rows can also help with the problem, as can doing more cardio work on indoor-rowing machines like the Concept Two Rower. In addition, stretching the chest after working it if you are prone to Upper Crossed Syndrome can help prevent the issue from recurring.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus