Tritsch, Freeman help power Bucs to series win
Steph Taylor and Julie Loyd perform for students during the Rainbow Alliance free concert held on Jan. 31. Travis Brown/East Tennessean
After a slow start to the season in non-conference play, ETSU started the conference season this weekend, winning a three game series against the Stetson Hatters. The Bucs came into the series with a 9-11 record, and the Hatters having a record of 7-14.
The first game of the series, Austin Hutchison pitched a complete game, giving up just four runs to the Hatters. Third baseman Kyle Pitts gave the Hatters a 1-0 lead in the third inning off of a solo home run.
In the sixth inning, Stetson added another run to their lead off of a Tyler Borock double, but the Hatters lead would not last long. The Bucs scored four runs off of five hits, Cook, Roach, and Phillips all earning RBI's.
With Clinton Freeman carrying the momentum into the seventh inning, the Bucs managed to score three more runs to take a 7-2 lead in the seventh. The Hatters would go on to get two more runs in the ninth inning but that would not be enough, giving the Bucs a 7-4 win to open the series.
The next game, the Bucs would not have so much luck on offense. They took a 1-0 lead in the second inning off of a Phillips single to left center.
In the sixth inning, Stetson Center fielder, Kevin Fagan would get the Hatters started with a single to center field, and with three men on base, Patrick Mazeika would bomb a three run homer out of Thomas Stadium to give the Hatters a 3-1 lead. They would score one more run in the inning to extend the lead.
ETSU scored again in the seventh and ninth inning, but it would not be enough to rally in the second game of the series, falling to Stetson 5-3.
The final game of the series was originally scheduled for Sunday, but due to the threat of bad weather the decision was made to make Saturday into a double-header against the Hatters.
The Bucs found themselves in an early hole once again, with Josh Powers getting an RBI single to right field to give Stetson a 1-0 lead.
In the third inning, the Hatters would add to their lead gain after a Borock double to left center field.
The Bucs would begin their rally in the fifth inning off of a double by short stop Riopedre, and a Freeman single. Center fielder Dylan Tritsch earned two RBI's in the game off of a single to right center field, to give the Bucs a 4-3 lead in the seventh inning.
The Bucs never looked back after that, winning the game and the series against Stetson University.
After playing single games against Appalachian State and Western Carolina, ETSU will continue conference play with a three game home series against Northern Kentucky.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership