Location of ETSU football stadium being decided
Since it was announced that the East Tennessee State University's football team would be returning, some university students have been excited about the arrival of the sport.
"The whole football atmosphere is so fun," said student Molly Ellson. "I'm really looking forward to going to the games when the program launches in a couple of years."
When the university's football program ended in 2003, some members of both the campus community and the local community were sad to see it go. Now that the Buccaneers will be returning to a football field, the area's football-fantasized residents are eager for the first game.
"It's exciting to think that we'll be able to have a college football team in Johnson City again," said student Bryce Bateman.
Before the football program kicks off, several practical issues must be resolved. Some of the concerns being addressed are how much the stadium will cost, how the stadium will be paid for, and where the stadium will be located.
"The stadium is projected to cost $18 to $25 million depending on final seating size," said David Collins, vice president for Finance and Administration. "When the fee for football was approved, $25 per semester was designated as a facility fee to help build a facility.
"This will be used to support a $7.5 million bond issue to help with construction. The remainder of the funds will be coming from fundraising."
While the financial questions regarding the stadium are being solved, where the stadium will be located is still being decided.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR