Location of ETSU football stadium being decided
Since it was announced that the East Tennessee State University's football team would be returning, some university students have been excited about the arrival of the sport.
"The whole football atmosphere is so fun," said student Molly Ellson. "I'm really looking forward to going to the games when the program launches in a couple of years."
When the university's football program ended in 2003, some members of both the campus community and the local community were sad to see it go. Now that the Buccaneers will be returning to a football field, the area's football-fantasized residents are eager for the first game.
"It's exciting to think that we'll be able to have a college football team in Johnson City again," said student Bryce Bateman.
Before the football program kicks off, several practical issues must be resolved. Some of the concerns being addressed are how much the stadium will cost, how the stadium will be paid for, and where the stadium will be located.
"The stadium is projected to cost $18 to $25 million depending on final seating size," said David Collins, vice president for Finance and Administration. "When the fee for football was approved, $25 per semester was designated as a facility fee to help build a facility.
"This will be used to support a $7.5 million bond issue to help with construction. The remainder of the funds will be coming from fundraising."
While the financial questions regarding the stadium are being solved, where the stadium will be located is still being decided.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
- Know Your Pipe Type And Catch Leaks Early
- Cancer Center Finds Smokeless Tobacco May Help You Quit
- Fighting Age-Related Muscle Loss
- A Quarter of Adults Dishonest With Dentists on How Often...
- Accidents Can Hurt More Than You Think
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15