The Whigs to perform at Capone's on Wednesday
Are you looking for a way to relieve some stress or forget about organic chemistry this week? Or perhaps you want to expand your musical taste.
Maybe you just need an excuse to get off campus.
If so, you may want to head downtown to Capone's this Wednesday to see The Whigs perform.
Originating from Athens, Ga., this garage rock band have been successful enough to have appeared multiple times on late-night television shows hosted by David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon. The Whigs have also toured globally with Kings of Leon, The Black Keys and Drive-By Truckers.
The band consists of lead singer and guitarist Parker Gispert, drummer Julian Dorio and bassist Timothy Deaux.
The group was formed in 2002 by Gispert, Dorio and original bassist Hank Sullivant.
Although Gispert and Dorio both lived in Atlanta and attended the same school, they did not begin playing together until they were both students at the University of Georgia.
In their early days, they played gigs in Athens and then organized monthly performances in New York.
Before long, they were playing alongside bands like Drive-By Truckers and The Killers.
Sullivant left the band in 2006 to pursue a solo project, and in 2007 the remaining members recruited bass player Timothy Deaux.
In 2006, The Whigs were named one of Rolling Stone magazine's "10 Artists to Watch."
Earlier studio albums include "Give 'Em All a Big Fat Lip," "Mission Control," "In the Dark" and "Enjoy the Company."
They recently finished recording their fifth album "Modern Creation," which is set to release April 22 and will be followed by national touring.
The Whigs, as well as This Mountain and Amythyst Kia, will be performing at Capone's this Wednesday at 8 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS