Themed weekend celebrated Olympics
In honor of the 2014 Winter Olympics, ETSU offered a themed weekend: Support Team USA Weekend.
Events on Friday and Saturday celebrated the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, hosted by Russia, as well as educated about the spirit of the Games.
On Friday night, Buctainment and Multicultural Affairs sponsored a free movie night.
The movie shown was "Invictus," a film starring Morgan Freeman as former South African president Nelson Mandela.
The inspiring film tells the story of Mandela's attempts to unite his divided country by encouraging the national rugby team to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup.
After the movie, Black Affairs sponsored a "Party of Olympic Proportions" in the Cave.
Activities included music, karaoke and bingo. Free food was also supplied, including Rita's Italian Ice and copious amounts of popcorn.
The most popular feature was a photo booth with the theme of "world traveler" that photographed students in front of a green screen and added in backgrounds of global landmarks such as the Taj Mahal and the Sydney Opera House.
More fun kicked off on Saturday as ETSU's own version of the opening ceremony was held in the CPA courtyard, hosted by the U.S. Olympic Training Site at ETSU.
Dr. Mike Ramsey of the exercise science program opened the ceremony by sharing facts about the Olympics, including the fact that ETSU is one of 16 Olympic training sites.
The site is currently devoted to the sport of weightlifting, but in the future may expand to include other sports such as rugby or cycling.
Dr. Meg Stone, director of the Sports Performance Enhancement Consortium at ETSU, also spoke.
A two-time Olympian for Great Britain in discus, she shared from personal experience her view of what she called "Olympic ideals": friendship, sportsmanship and excellence.
"The friendships that you get through sport are really important," she said, explaining that four Olympic gold medalists attended her and her husband's wedding, and that they still keep in touch with friends they met through athletics.
Of excellence, Stone said, "When you see the Olympics Games on TV over the next two weeks, you're gonna see people striving to be the best, the very best that they can be, and that's important."
"That's what the Olympic Games is all about - striving to be the best you can be on that day."
Stone then introduced Tim McInnis, the coach of the weightlifting training site.
He spoke about some of the training athletes, two of whom attended the ceremony, and explained the differences between the elite caliber of the training site and the more relaxed atmosphere of ETSU's weightlifting club.
As the ceremony closed, the audience was released to take part in ice skating in the CPA courtyard.
Sponsored by Buctainment, this activity was a success among students, adults, and children alike as they all lined up to grab skates and hit the (artificial) ice.
For those less inclined to skating, the EcoNuts and Office of Sustainability hosted The Green Games, a series of activities that promoted awareness of environmental issues.
Participants were invited to complete trivia, play games, or get their faces painted.
This themed weekend provided many opportunities for wintry and patriotic fun.
Students can view more information about upcoming themed weekends, including this coming weekend, on the ETSU website at www.etsu.edu/weekends.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists