Bucs start spring with solid first round at UCF
Junior Gabriella Wahl carded a score of 4-under-par 68 to finished tied for second place on the individual leaderboard during first round play Sunday in the UCF Challenge at the Eagle Creek Golf Club.
Wahl's efforts helped power the 54th-ranked Buccaneers to a strong team showing in what is one of the most challenging fields they have faced this season. As a team, ETSU finished at even-par 288 and is currently third in the 19-team field, ahead of six teams which are currently ranked ahead of the Bucs nationally.
"Today was a great day for our ladies," said ETSU head coach Stefanie Shelton. "Their composure and confidence was impressive after the minimal time we have been able to play. Gabi seems determined to have a great spring and she will do so if she keeps this same mindset. I'm proud of her and the team for their efforts and look forward to a sunny day on the golf course tomorrow."
The Bucs are currently six strokes back of host and 24th-ranked UCF, and just one stroke off the pace of No. 33 Miami in second place. ETSU finished the day ahead of teams such No. 21 Kentucky, No. 22 Iowa State, No. 43 SMU, No. 45 Wisconsin and No. 29 Tulane.
Individually, Wahl is just one stroke out of first place, which is currently held by UCF's Fanny Cnops. Other ETSU results included a round of even-par 72 for sophomore Vivienne Chin, which placed her tied for 17th. Along with Chin, senior Sian Evans tied for 26th and freshman newcomer Linda Dobele finished tied for 49th.
ETSU will continue with second round play at the UCF Challenge on Monday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- System recognizes gender spectrum
- ETSU Pride Band opens for Krüger Brothers
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- RTVF students to present original films
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes