Bucs start spring with solid first round at UCF
Junior Gabriella Wahl carded a score of 4-under-par 68 to finished tied for second place on the individual leaderboard during first round play Sunday in the UCF Challenge at the Eagle Creek Golf Club.
Wahl's efforts helped power the 54th-ranked Buccaneers to a strong team showing in what is one of the most challenging fields they have faced this season. As a team, ETSU finished at even-par 288 and is currently third in the 19-team field, ahead of six teams which are currently ranked ahead of the Bucs nationally.
"Today was a great day for our ladies," said ETSU head coach Stefanie Shelton. "Their composure and confidence was impressive after the minimal time we have been able to play. Gabi seems determined to have a great spring and she will do so if she keeps this same mindset. I'm proud of her and the team for their efforts and look forward to a sunny day on the golf course tomorrow."
The Bucs are currently six strokes back of host and 24th-ranked UCF, and just one stroke off the pace of No. 33 Miami in second place. ETSU finished the day ahead of teams such No. 21 Kentucky, No. 22 Iowa State, No. 43 SMU, No. 45 Wisconsin and No. 29 Tulane.
Individually, Wahl is just one stroke out of first place, which is currently held by UCF's Fanny Cnops. Other ETSU results included a round of even-par 72 for sophomore Vivienne Chin, which placed her tied for 17th. Along with Chin, senior Sian Evans tied for 26th and freshman newcomer Linda Dobele finished tied for 49th.
ETSU will continue with second round play at the UCF Challenge on Monday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”