Bucs start spring with solid first round at UCF
Junior Gabriella Wahl carded a score of 4-under-par 68 to finished tied for second place on the individual leaderboard during first round play Sunday in the UCF Challenge at the Eagle Creek Golf Club.
Wahl's efforts helped power the 54th-ranked Buccaneers to a strong team showing in what is one of the most challenging fields they have faced this season. As a team, ETSU finished at even-par 288 and is currently third in the 19-team field, ahead of six teams which are currently ranked ahead of the Bucs nationally.
"Today was a great day for our ladies," said ETSU head coach Stefanie Shelton. "Their composure and confidence was impressive after the minimal time we have been able to play. Gabi seems determined to have a great spring and she will do so if she keeps this same mindset. I'm proud of her and the team for their efforts and look forward to a sunny day on the golf course tomorrow."
The Bucs are currently six strokes back of host and 24th-ranked UCF, and just one stroke off the pace of No. 33 Miami in second place. ETSU finished the day ahead of teams such No. 21 Kentucky, No. 22 Iowa State, No. 43 SMU, No. 45 Wisconsin and No. 29 Tulane.
Individually, Wahl is just one stroke out of first place, which is currently held by UCF's Fanny Cnops. Other ETSU results included a round of even-par 72 for sophomore Vivienne Chin, which placed her tied for 17th. Along with Chin, senior Sian Evans tied for 26th and freshman newcomer Linda Dobele finished tied for 49th.
ETSU will continue with second round play at the UCF Challenge on Monday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses