Spanish club to hold free soccer clinic this weekend
This Saturday, April 2, the Spanish club will kick this up a notch with the Sports 4 All soccer clinic.
The clinic will be held on the ETSU Intramural fields from 1-4 p.m. The event is being held by the Spanish Club, Los Compadres: Club de Español and the Language and Culture Resource Center (LCRC) of ETSU.
The LCRC is a self-sufficient office that provides translation and interpretation services in the area and also organizes many beneficial programs such as Hispanic Student Day and Service Learning.
This Spanish Club of ETSU has been slowly growing for about two years and is under the new advisement of Dr. Katrina Heil.
Peri Loftis, president of the Spanish Club, said, "It is an opportunity for Spanish majors and minors to practice their Spanish and provide opportunities for the Hispanic community, such as this soccer clinic."
The ETSU men's soccer team will be conducting the clinic for children and helping them to improve soccer skills. It will be open for all children 3-18 years old, but being the Spanish Club, it will be "mainly for the Hispanic community to get involved," Loftis said.
While children are playing soccer, a meeting will be held for the parents in the CPA Multipurpose Room about free community services and information in both Spanish and English.
For children younger than 3, babysitting will be provided. No pre-registration is necessary, but registration begins at 1 p.m. that day.
"This is the first event like this that has been organized by the club," said Loftis. "If it goes well, I hope to make it an annual event."
There will be free food and many door prizes for parents and children.
In case of bad weather on Saturday, the event will be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9.
"This event is important because it allows Hispanic families to get involved in the community and enjoy an afternoon of fun together," Loftis said.
For more information, call Loftis at the LCRC at (423) 439-8342.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy