Spanish club to hold free soccer clinic this weekend
This Saturday, April 2, the Spanish club will kick this up a notch with the Sports 4 All soccer clinic.
The clinic will be held on the ETSU Intramural fields from 1-4 p.m. The event is being held by the Spanish Club, Los Compadres: Club de Español and the Language and Culture Resource Center (LCRC) of ETSU.
The LCRC is a self-sufficient office that provides translation and interpretation services in the area and also organizes many beneficial programs such as Hispanic Student Day and Service Learning.
This Spanish Club of ETSU has been slowly growing for about two years and is under the new advisement of Dr. Katrina Heil.
Peri Loftis, president of the Spanish Club, said, "It is an opportunity for Spanish majors and minors to practice their Spanish and provide opportunities for the Hispanic community, such as this soccer clinic."
The ETSU men's soccer team will be conducting the clinic for children and helping them to improve soccer skills. It will be open for all children 3-18 years old, but being the Spanish Club, it will be "mainly for the Hispanic community to get involved," Loftis said.
While children are playing soccer, a meeting will be held for the parents in the CPA Multipurpose Room about free community services and information in both Spanish and English.
For children younger than 3, babysitting will be provided. No pre-registration is necessary, but registration begins at 1 p.m. that day.
"This is the first event like this that has been organized by the club," said Loftis. "If it goes well, I hope to make it an annual event."
There will be free food and many door prizes for parents and children.
In case of bad weather on Saturday, the event will be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9.
"This event is important because it allows Hispanic families to get involved in the community and enjoy an afternoon of fun together," Loftis said.
For more information, call Loftis at the LCRC at (423) 439-8342.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move