Spanish club to hold free soccer clinic this weekend
This Saturday, April 2, the Spanish club will kick this up a notch with the Sports 4 All soccer clinic.
The clinic will be held on the ETSU Intramural fields from 1-4 p.m. The event is being held by the Spanish Club, Los Compadres: Club de Español and the Language and Culture Resource Center (LCRC) of ETSU.
The LCRC is a self-sufficient office that provides translation and interpretation services in the area and also organizes many beneficial programs such as Hispanic Student Day and Service Learning.
This Spanish Club of ETSU has been slowly growing for about two years and is under the new advisement of Dr. Katrina Heil.
Peri Loftis, president of the Spanish Club, said, "It is an opportunity for Spanish majors and minors to practice their Spanish and provide opportunities for the Hispanic community, such as this soccer clinic."
The ETSU men's soccer team will be conducting the clinic for children and helping them to improve soccer skills. It will be open for all children 3-18 years old, but being the Spanish Club, it will be "mainly for the Hispanic community to get involved," Loftis said.
While children are playing soccer, a meeting will be held for the parents in the CPA Multipurpose Room about free community services and information in both Spanish and English.
For children younger than 3, babysitting will be provided. No pre-registration is necessary, but registration begins at 1 p.m. that day.
"This is the first event like this that has been organized by the club," said Loftis. "If it goes well, I hope to make it an annual event."
There will be free food and many door prizes for parents and children.
In case of bad weather on Saturday, the event will be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9.
"This event is important because it allows Hispanic families to get involved in the community and enjoy an afternoon of fun together," Loftis said.
For more information, call Loftis at the LCRC at (423) 439-8342.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!