Spanish club to hold free soccer clinic this weekend
This Saturday, April 2, the Spanish club will kick this up a notch with the Sports 4 All soccer clinic.
The clinic will be held on the ETSU Intramural fields from 1-4 p.m. The event is being held by the Spanish Club, Los Compadres: Club de Español and the Language and Culture Resource Center (LCRC) of ETSU.
The LCRC is a self-sufficient office that provides translation and interpretation services in the area and also organizes many beneficial programs such as Hispanic Student Day and Service Learning.
This Spanish Club of ETSU has been slowly growing for about two years and is under the new advisement of Dr. Katrina Heil.
Peri Loftis, president of the Spanish Club, said, "It is an opportunity for Spanish majors and minors to practice their Spanish and provide opportunities for the Hispanic community, such as this soccer clinic."
The ETSU men's soccer team will be conducting the clinic for children and helping them to improve soccer skills. It will be open for all children 3-18 years old, but being the Spanish Club, it will be "mainly for the Hispanic community to get involved," Loftis said.
While children are playing soccer, a meeting will be held for the parents in the CPA Multipurpose Room about free community services and information in both Spanish and English.
For children younger than 3, babysitting will be provided. No pre-registration is necessary, but registration begins at 1 p.m. that day.
"This is the first event like this that has been organized by the club," said Loftis. "If it goes well, I hope to make it an annual event."
There will be free food and many door prizes for parents and children.
In case of bad weather on Saturday, the event will be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9.
"This event is important because it allows Hispanic families to get involved in the community and enjoy an afternoon of fun together," Loftis said.
For more information, call Loftis at the LCRC at (423) 439-8342.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge