Spanish club to hold free soccer clinic this weekend
This Saturday, April 2, the Spanish club will kick this up a notch with the Sports 4 All soccer clinic.
The clinic will be held on the ETSU Intramural fields from 1-4 p.m. The event is being held by the Spanish Club, Los Compadres: Club de Español and the Language and Culture Resource Center (LCRC) of ETSU.
The LCRC is a self-sufficient office that provides translation and interpretation services in the area and also organizes many beneficial programs such as Hispanic Student Day and Service Learning.
This Spanish Club of ETSU has been slowly growing for about two years and is under the new advisement of Dr. Katrina Heil.
Peri Loftis, president of the Spanish Club, said, "It is an opportunity for Spanish majors and minors to practice their Spanish and provide opportunities for the Hispanic community, such as this soccer clinic."
The ETSU men's soccer team will be conducting the clinic for children and helping them to improve soccer skills. It will be open for all children 3-18 years old, but being the Spanish Club, it will be "mainly for the Hispanic community to get involved," Loftis said.
While children are playing soccer, a meeting will be held for the parents in the CPA Multipurpose Room about free community services and information in both Spanish and English.
For children younger than 3, babysitting will be provided. No pre-registration is necessary, but registration begins at 1 p.m. that day.
"This is the first event like this that has been organized by the club," said Loftis. "If it goes well, I hope to make it an annual event."
There will be free food and many door prizes for parents and children.
In case of bad weather on Saturday, the event will be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9.
"This event is important because it allows Hispanic families to get involved in the community and enjoy an afternoon of fun together," Loftis said.
For more information, call Loftis at the LCRC at (423) 439-8342.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU screening travelers to countries with known Ebola outbreaks
- ETSU appoints director of Veterans Affairs
- Organizers finalize Sex Week preparations
- ‘Selma’ mirrors controversies in modern America
- Johnson City Community Theatre will hold auditions for RENT Feb. 15 and 16
- Women’s Studies announces spring Women on Wednesdays lineup
- Lady Bucs conquer Lady Terriers, 69-47
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact