Boy Scouts should not feel pressured to include gays
Over the past few months, tension has been mounting both within and without the Boy Scouts of America as they consider a major policy change that would allow openly homosexual individuals to become members and serve as leaders within a troop.
The BSA conducted a survey which made no direct mention of the 'gay ban' but rather sought to determine where the majority of their membership stood on the matter of homosexual scouting.
The survey that was sent to nearly 1.4 million parents consisted of 13 questions which dealt with topics like: Should gays be allowed to serve as scout leaders, and should homosexual boys be allowed to share a tent with other scouts?
This has been an issue of growing concern over the past decade.
In 2000, the Supreme Court upheld the BSA's right to exclude homosexuals under its membership rules. Since then, the BSA has faced opposition from gay rights activists and even lost funding from financial supporters like Merck & Co., UPS and Intel.
It is true that the BSA's gay ban is technically discriminatory by definition, but what those opposing it fail to realize is that discrimination is at the heart of every organization.
Clubs, fraternities, colleges, etc., all have specific criteria to which potential members must adhere if they wish to join. So why do these individuals want so badly to be a part of an organization with which they so vehemently disagree?
That is like walking into a Pizza Hut and demanding that they serve you a Big Mac.
Why should the people who have put in the time to build a successful organization, such as the BSA, have to yield to the demands of an outside minority?
Such is the hypocrisy of the Left that drives them to tout a convoluted message of 'tolerance' without understanding the ignorance of what it is they are preaching.
If the Left wants to intelligently debate this subject, they need to quit using an argument that is predicated on the false, deceitful claim that homosexuality is an intrinsic, biological trait.
However, the Right which seeks to uphold foundational morals, needs to utilize the evidence and facts that exist beyond the realm of religion.
That being said, one should not be demonized or thought ignorant for basing their opinion on religious teachings.
In a culture where morals are considered to be the crutch of the narrow-minded, it is becoming increasingly difficult to try and uphold the values upon which our country was founded. Since 1910, the Boy Scouts has held itself to a high standard of timeless morals that has served them well in making them the distinguished organization that they are today.
Now, gay activists act as if they are trying to eradicate a fatal flaw within the organization, ignoring its long history of success and founding principles.
Issues of sexuality have no place in the BSA, but by allowing openly gay troop leaders, young scouts might be forced to confront questions of sexuality that no 11-year-old should have to think about or answer.
Though the BSA is not considered a "Christian organization" anymore, they still are made up of and supported by numerous churches and religious groups that believe in their godly principles.
The bottom line is that the freedom for which so many have fought and died allows us the ability to make choices based on our personal opinions.
Sure, there are crazies on both sides that voice those opinions in ignorant and hurtful ways, but that cannot be allowed to detract from the real issues.
The Boy Scouts are well within their rights to exclude homosexuals.
They should not have to back down and give into bullying from the sexually confused Left which has no legal right supporting their demands.
The BSA is a private organization, and as such is allowed to set its own standards by which all members must abide.
However, the beauty of it is that those who disagree with their rules can do what Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, suggested when confronted about his support of gay rights - take your business elsewhere.
Perhaps those wishing to pitch their tents toward Sodom should form their own ultra-tolerant organization and leave the Boy Scouts alone.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections