Boy Scouts should not feel pressured to include gays
Over the past few months, tension has been mounting both within and without the Boy Scouts of America as they consider a major policy change that would allow openly homosexual individuals to become members and serve as leaders within a troop.
The BSA conducted a survey which made no direct mention of the 'gay ban' but rather sought to determine where the majority of their membership stood on the matter of homosexual scouting.
The survey that was sent to nearly 1.4 million parents consisted of 13 questions which dealt with topics like: Should gays be allowed to serve as scout leaders, and should homosexual boys be allowed to share a tent with other scouts?
This has been an issue of growing concern over the past decade.
In 2000, the Supreme Court upheld the BSA's right to exclude homosexuals under its membership rules. Since then, the BSA has faced opposition from gay rights activists and even lost funding from financial supporters like Merck & Co., UPS and Intel.
It is true that the BSA's gay ban is technically discriminatory by definition, but what those opposing it fail to realize is that discrimination is at the heart of every organization.
Clubs, fraternities, colleges, etc., all have specific criteria to which potential members must adhere if they wish to join. So why do these individuals want so badly to be a part of an organization with which they so vehemently disagree?
That is like walking into a Pizza Hut and demanding that they serve you a Big Mac.
Why should the people who have put in the time to build a successful organization, such as the BSA, have to yield to the demands of an outside minority?
Such is the hypocrisy of the Left that drives them to tout a convoluted message of 'tolerance' without understanding the ignorance of what it is they are preaching.
If the Left wants to intelligently debate this subject, they need to quit using an argument that is predicated on the false, deceitful claim that homosexuality is an intrinsic, biological trait.
However, the Right which seeks to uphold foundational morals, needs to utilize the evidence and facts that exist beyond the realm of religion.
That being said, one should not be demonized or thought ignorant for basing their opinion on religious teachings.
In a culture where morals are considered to be the crutch of the narrow-minded, it is becoming increasingly difficult to try and uphold the values upon which our country was founded. Since 1910, the Boy Scouts has held itself to a high standard of timeless morals that has served them well in making them the distinguished organization that they are today.
Now, gay activists act as if they are trying to eradicate a fatal flaw within the organization, ignoring its long history of success and founding principles.
Issues of sexuality have no place in the BSA, but by allowing openly gay troop leaders, young scouts might be forced to confront questions of sexuality that no 11-year-old should have to think about or answer.
Though the BSA is not considered a "Christian organization" anymore, they still are made up of and supported by numerous churches and religious groups that believe in their godly principles.
The bottom line is that the freedom for which so many have fought and died allows us the ability to make choices based on our personal opinions.
Sure, there are crazies on both sides that voice those opinions in ignorant and hurtful ways, but that cannot be allowed to detract from the real issues.
The Boy Scouts are well within their rights to exclude homosexuals.
They should not have to back down and give into bullying from the sexually confused Left which has no legal right supporting their demands.
The BSA is a private organization, and as such is allowed to set its own standards by which all members must abide.
However, the beauty of it is that those who disagree with their rules can do what Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, suggested when confronted about his support of gay rights - take your business elsewhere.
Perhaps those wishing to pitch their tents toward Sodom should form their own ultra-tolerant organization and leave the Boy Scouts alone.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR