BFSA hosts banquet, concert
The East Tennessee State University Black Faculty and Staff Association will host its annual banquet, followed by the African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, at 6 p.m. Saturday in the D.P. Culp University Center.
The banquet, planned in conjunction with Black History Month, begins in the Culp Center ballroom.
The concert will begin immediately afterward in the Martha Street Culp Auditorium in the Culp Center. It is open to the public, and the $35 tickets cover both the banquet and concert.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, one of Life As Art Productions' most popular touring shows, incorporates spoken word, traditional dancing and soul singing.
It features many spirituals from throughout the history of the African American people, including "I'll Fly Away," "Walk With Me Lord," "Down By the Riverside," "Motherless Child," "Go Down Moses," "Kum Ba Ya," "Lily of the Valley" and more.
The music demonstrates how African rhythms, slave chants and early black church hymns helped build faith, renew strength, nourish spirits and help many to survive.
The program also conveys how such songs as "Wade in the Water" and "Steal Away" were used to conceal escape itineraries and songs like "Oh Freedom" became rallying cries of the Civil Rights Movement.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert has received support from the National Performance Network and Alternate ROOTS.
For tickets, more information or special assistance for those with disabilities, contact Dr. Keith Johnson at 423-833-4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”