BFSA hosts banquet, concert
The East Tennessee State University Black Faculty and Staff Association will host its annual banquet, followed by the African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, at 6 p.m. Saturday in the D.P. Culp University Center.
The banquet, planned in conjunction with Black History Month, begins in the Culp Center ballroom.
The concert will begin immediately afterward in the Martha Street Culp Auditorium in the Culp Center. It is open to the public, and the $35 tickets cover both the banquet and concert.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, one of Life As Art Productions' most popular touring shows, incorporates spoken word, traditional dancing and soul singing.
It features many spirituals from throughout the history of the African American people, including "I'll Fly Away," "Walk With Me Lord," "Down By the Riverside," "Motherless Child," "Go Down Moses," "Kum Ba Ya," "Lily of the Valley" and more.
The music demonstrates how African rhythms, slave chants and early black church hymns helped build faith, renew strength, nourish spirits and help many to survive.
The program also conveys how such songs as "Wade in the Water" and "Steal Away" were used to conceal escape itineraries and songs like "Oh Freedom" became rallying cries of the Civil Rights Movement.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert has received support from the National Performance Network and Alternate ROOTS.
For tickets, more information or special assistance for those with disabilities, contact Dr. Keith Johnson at 423-833-4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 6 Tips for Planning Your Wedding Photos Like a Pro
- High OCTANe Event Comes to Calif., Brings Businesses,...
- A Novel Innovation Hub for Africa
- Want a Cleaner Home? Easy-to-Clean Carpeting Is Key
- Bee Safe While Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Military Seeks Better Alternatives for Treating Pain...
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Scholarship Program Benefitting First-Year Law Students
- HEROES OF THE DORM™: THE UC BERKELEY GOLDEN BEARS ARE HEROES OF THE STORM™ COLLEGIATE CHAMPIONS
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month