BFSA hosts banquet, concert
The East Tennessee State University Black Faculty and Staff Association will host its annual banquet, followed by the African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, at 6 p.m. Saturday in the D.P. Culp University Center.
The banquet, planned in conjunction with Black History Month, begins in the Culp Center ballroom.
The concert will begin immediately afterward in the Martha Street Culp Auditorium in the Culp Center. It is open to the public, and the $35 tickets cover both the banquet and concert.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert, one of Life As Art Productions' most popular touring shows, incorporates spoken word, traditional dancing and soul singing.
It features many spirituals from throughout the history of the African American people, including "I'll Fly Away," "Walk With Me Lord," "Down By the Riverside," "Motherless Child," "Go Down Moses," "Kum Ba Ya," "Lily of the Valley" and more.
The music demonstrates how African rhythms, slave chants and early black church hymns helped build faith, renew strength, nourish spirits and help many to survive.
The program also conveys how such songs as "Wade in the Water" and "Steal Away" were used to conceal escape itineraries and songs like "Oh Freedom" became rallying cries of the Civil Rights Movement.
The African Spirituals Freedom Prayers Concert has received support from the National Performance Network and Alternate ROOTS.
For tickets, more information or special assistance for those with disabilities, contact Dr. Keith Johnson at 423-833-4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Online magazine promotes healthy habits
- Buctainment co-sponsorship of campus events garners greater event attention
- Charles Towne Belles inspires faith
- New exhibitions coming to Reece
- Club soccer team begins at ETSU
- Oshoniyi coaches in 2015 adidas MLS Combine
- I ate my roommate’s girlfriend’s candy, he cried
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor