Male audience ponies up 'Friendship is Magic'
richfiles #comment 1. I guess some people still find the brony phenomenon surprising. Honestly, it's only slightly more surprising than the fandoms that developed for shows like Spongebob. The only truly differentiating factor is the intended demographic, the fact that the show was directed towards young girls specifically. The way the show is arranged, it functions as a source of pure and unadulterated entertainment. If you made it an anime with humans, elves, aliens, talking animals, or whatever.. It'd likely still work. It's just that in this case, the main characters are ponies.. Awesome pastel colored ponies, with pegasus wings and unicorn magic. There's mythical beasts like dragons, manticores, hydras, and more.(Continued)
Brony. The combination of "bro" and "pony," a brony is a self-describing term used to identify males who watch, follow and are fans of the show "My Little Pony."
Having originally aired in the 1980s, the colorful animated show featuring a variety of ponies was re-launched in Oct. 2010.
Aimed at young girls, the newer version of the show, "Friendship is Magic," has attracted a surprisingly large number of male viewers.
The show takes place in the fantasy world of Equestria and follows a young unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, who is mentored by the ruler of Equestria, Princess Celestia.
After noticing that Twilight Sparkle spends all of her time studying and little to none of her time making friends, Princess Celestia sends her protégé to the town of Ponyville to make friends and learn the magic of friendship.
This sounds like the very last thing that most any male would be interested in watching, right? Viewer ratings and polls say otherwise.
Yet even the most zealous bronies admit to finding their dedication a tad surprising. Shaun Scotellaro, 23-year-old creator of the pony-inspired website, Equestria Daily, said, "Honestly, if someone were to have told me I'd be writing a pony blog seven months ago, I would have called them insane."
His sentiments are echoed by fellow fans, who have similarly surrendered to the show's appeal.
While some male fans feel a little foolish for enjoying a show aimed at a much younger audience, many attribute their devotion to the show's exceptional animation, multi-dimensional characters and interestingly entertaining plot.
Likewise, some viewers claim to identify with the plucky ponies, relating the characters' flaws and problems to their own lives.
There seems to be no apparent trend among the male viewers. Followers range from homosexual to heterosexual, young to old.
The hype goes beyond merely viewing the show, and many male fans collect figurines based on the show's characters, create fan pages, post their own pony art and upload pony videos to YouTube.
By the end of season one, bronies claimed to be ravenous for more of the show.
Time will tell whether the lapse between season one and two will cause the hype to die down, or it may serve to create even more bronies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR