Male audience ponies up 'Friendship is Magic'
richfiles #comment 1. I guess some people still find the brony phenomenon surprising. Honestly, it's only slightly more surprising than the fandoms that developed for shows like Spongebob. The only truly differentiating factor is the intended demographic, the fact that the show was directed towards young girls specifically. The way the show is arranged, it functions as a source of pure and unadulterated entertainment. If you made it an anime with humans, elves, aliens, talking animals, or whatever.. It'd likely still work. It's just that in this case, the main characters are ponies.. Awesome pastel colored ponies, with pegasus wings and unicorn magic. There's mythical beasts like dragons, manticores, hydras, and more.(Continued)
Brony. The combination of "bro" and "pony," a brony is a self-describing term used to identify males who watch, follow and are fans of the show "My Little Pony."
Having originally aired in the 1980s, the colorful animated show featuring a variety of ponies was re-launched in Oct. 2010.
Aimed at young girls, the newer version of the show, "Friendship is Magic," has attracted a surprisingly large number of male viewers.
The show takes place in the fantasy world of Equestria and follows a young unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, who is mentored by the ruler of Equestria, Princess Celestia.
After noticing that Twilight Sparkle spends all of her time studying and little to none of her time making friends, Princess Celestia sends her protégé to the town of Ponyville to make friends and learn the magic of friendship.
This sounds like the very last thing that most any male would be interested in watching, right? Viewer ratings and polls say otherwise.
Yet even the most zealous bronies admit to finding their dedication a tad surprising. Shaun Scotellaro, 23-year-old creator of the pony-inspired website, Equestria Daily, said, "Honestly, if someone were to have told me I'd be writing a pony blog seven months ago, I would have called them insane."
His sentiments are echoed by fellow fans, who have similarly surrendered to the show's appeal.
While some male fans feel a little foolish for enjoying a show aimed at a much younger audience, many attribute their devotion to the show's exceptional animation, multi-dimensional characters and interestingly entertaining plot.
Likewise, some viewers claim to identify with the plucky ponies, relating the characters' flaws and problems to their own lives.
There seems to be no apparent trend among the male viewers. Followers range from homosexual to heterosexual, young to old.
The hype goes beyond merely viewing the show, and many male fans collect figurines based on the show's characters, create fan pages, post their own pony art and upload pony videos to YouTube.
By the end of season one, bronies claimed to be ravenous for more of the show.
Time will tell whether the lapse between season one and two will cause the hype to die down, or it may serve to create even more bronies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES