Male audience ponies up 'Friendship is Magic'
richfiles #comment 1. I guess some people still find the brony phenomenon surprising. Honestly, it's only slightly more surprising than the fandoms that developed for shows like Spongebob. The only truly differentiating factor is the intended demographic, the fact that the show was directed towards young girls specifically. The way the show is arranged, it functions as a source of pure and unadulterated entertainment. If you made it an anime with humans, elves, aliens, talking animals, or whatever.. It'd likely still work. It's just that in this case, the main characters are ponies.. Awesome pastel colored ponies, with pegasus wings and unicorn magic. There's mythical beasts like dragons, manticores, hydras, and more.(Continued)
Brony. The combination of "bro" and "pony," a brony is a self-describing term used to identify males who watch, follow and are fans of the show "My Little Pony."
Having originally aired in the 1980s, the colorful animated show featuring a variety of ponies was re-launched in Oct. 2010.
Aimed at young girls, the newer version of the show, "Friendship is Magic," has attracted a surprisingly large number of male viewers.
The show takes place in the fantasy world of Equestria and follows a young unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, who is mentored by the ruler of Equestria, Princess Celestia.
After noticing that Twilight Sparkle spends all of her time studying and little to none of her time making friends, Princess Celestia sends her protégé to the town of Ponyville to make friends and learn the magic of friendship.
This sounds like the very last thing that most any male would be interested in watching, right? Viewer ratings and polls say otherwise.
Yet even the most zealous bronies admit to finding their dedication a tad surprising. Shaun Scotellaro, 23-year-old creator of the pony-inspired website, Equestria Daily, said, "Honestly, if someone were to have told me I'd be writing a pony blog seven months ago, I would have called them insane."
His sentiments are echoed by fellow fans, who have similarly surrendered to the show's appeal.
While some male fans feel a little foolish for enjoying a show aimed at a much younger audience, many attribute their devotion to the show's exceptional animation, multi-dimensional characters and interestingly entertaining plot.
Likewise, some viewers claim to identify with the plucky ponies, relating the characters' flaws and problems to their own lives.
There seems to be no apparent trend among the male viewers. Followers range from homosexual to heterosexual, young to old.
The hype goes beyond merely viewing the show, and many male fans collect figurines based on the show's characters, create fan pages, post their own pony art and upload pony videos to YouTube.
By the end of season one, bronies claimed to be ravenous for more of the show.
Time will tell whether the lapse between season one and two will cause the hype to die down, or it may serve to create even more bronies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!