ETSU Greek life depicts Homecoming theme at Skit Night
Senior Emily Fulcher, shown, will make the transition from offense to defense this season playing goal keeper for the Lady Bucs soccer team. John E. May/East Tennessean
Greek organizations competed in drama and dance that depicted East Tennessee State University's 2012 Homecoming theme "Forever Young" at Wednesday's Homecoming Skit Night.
Both the sorority Kappa Delta and the fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha performed first at Skit Night and won first place.
"Being No. 1 is the most awesome feeling in the world," said Lauren Morgan, who has been a member of Kappa Delta for three years. "We worked our tail-ends off. We practiced from 9 p.m. to 12 p.m. every night since the last week of September."
The crowd chanted at nearly every opportunity for their fraternity or sorority. The energy in the auditorium was constant and competitive until the announcement of the winners.
"There's a lot of spirit - some negative and some positive - but mostly positive," said Shannon Lloyd, 18. "It's fun and it brings people together."
Student Government Association President Iqra Ahmad introduced Skit Night and offered to let students tell jokes while waiting to begin. Jokes diffused into laughter, cheering and bro-fives.
One student said, "What did the egg say when it got dropped in boiling water? It may take me a while to get hard; I was just laid by a chick."
In Kappa Delta and Pi Kappa Alpha's Scooby Doo-themed performance, the "gang" searched for the missing Bucky between dance breaks. In neon and tie-dye, flat bills and overalls, they danced to the Fresh Prince-theme song, Sugar Hill Gang's "Apache" and the Nickelodeon jingle.
The second place winners were the sorority Sigma Kappa and the fraternity Alpha Lambda Chi. Their performance was '90's themed and included references to the show "All That," colored ketchup and MTV - when it actually played music videos.
They opened with a graduation speech about staying forever young and danced to "The Fresh Prince" theme song, "Girlfriend" by N'Sync and "Getting Jiggy with It" by Will Smith. Their men came out in button-ups and untied bowties with the women in leggings and T-shirts. They were the only group to do a step routine - others had hip-hop choreography.
The sorority Alpha Delta Pi and the fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon won third place with their skit on learning to interact with the opposite sex in middle school. They danced to "Drive Me Crazy" by Britney Spears, "Bye Bye Bye" by N'Sync and "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce.
"Win or lose, it was a great experience," said Sarah Willis, 20, of Alpha Delta Pi.
Alpha Phi Omega and Sigma Chi's skit was about a father telling his kids how he met their mother.
The moral was that as long as people share their lives with the ones they love, they would be forever young.
The girls blindfolded the boys, and they danced to Britney Spears' "Drive Me Crazy," "Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera, "Bye Bye Bye" by N'Sync and others.
After the skits, SGA members threw free prizes into the crowd like cups and croakies.
"It was an awesome experience," said Aaron Justus, 20. "We all had a great time being with each other and getting to know each other."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Student tickets go quickly for first football game
- Victory from within at ETSU
- Arts Initiative generates community enthusiasm
- Men’s soccer ends exhibition play with win
- Women’s volleyball predicted to have outstanding season
- Search ongoing for starting quarterback
- Football program boasts memorable history
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE