Poetry slam to be held April 18
The East Tennessee State University Storytelling Program and the ETSU Department of Literature and Language present "Re-Generation: A Johnson City Story & Poetry Slam."
The Re-Generation Story & Poetry Slam combines two streams of the contemporary spoken word movement into a heady new performance cocktail.
Performance poets and personal storytellers will mix it up, bringing forth a potent new blending of verbal arts.
Fans of The Moth, Def PoetryJam, PorchLight, Asheville's Synergy StorySlam or last year's inaugural Re-Generation Stor-etry Slam series here in Johnson City will not want to miss it.
The Story & Poetry Slam turns the traditional storytelling olio concert upside-down and inside-out. Instead of paid professional tellers entertaining a captive audience, slam patrons wishing to tell a story will simply drop their names into a hat, and poets who wish to read or recite will do the same.
From each - the Story Hat and the Poetry Hat - five names will be drawn at random. Three story judges and three poetry judges selected from the audience will put their heads together and select the winning stories and poems of the night. First-place teller and poet take home cash prizes.
The theme for the next Story & Poetry Slam is "Passed Over." Stories should be true (or mostly true), 10 minutes or under and related to the evening's theme. Poems should also be related to the theme, free as to form, and five minutes or less in length.
All community members with a story or poem to share are encouraged to throw their names into the hat.
The Story Slam is not just for professional storytellers or published poets, but for anyone with a story to tell or a poem that speaks to the heart of an audience.
The special featured guest poet for this event will be Jesse Graves. Graves teaches Poetry and American Literature at ETSU, where he was given the 2012 New Faculty Award from the College of Arts & Sciences.
Graves' first poetry collection, "Tennessee Landscape with Blighted Pine," was published by Texas Review Press in 2011, and won the 2012 Weatherford Award in Poetry from Berea College, the Appalachian Studies Association and the Book of the Year Award in Poetry from the Appalachian Writers' Association.
Re-Generation, the Johnson City Story & Poetry Slam, will be held on April 18 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at The Battery (601 Spring Street, Johnson City, TN).
Admission for this event is free, but there is a suggested donation of $5.
Caution: This is an adult event. Beer will be cold. Stories and poems may be hot!
For more information about this event, visit www.facebook.com/pages/Re-Generation-A-Johnson-City-Story-Poetry- Slam/212473495492708
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership