Poetry slam to be held April 18
The East Tennessee State University Storytelling Program and the ETSU Department of Literature and Language present "Re-Generation: A Johnson City Story & Poetry Slam."
The Re-Generation Story & Poetry Slam combines two streams of the contemporary spoken word movement into a heady new performance cocktail.
Performance poets and personal storytellers will mix it up, bringing forth a potent new blending of verbal arts.
Fans of The Moth, Def PoetryJam, PorchLight, Asheville's Synergy StorySlam or last year's inaugural Re-Generation Stor-etry Slam series here in Johnson City will not want to miss it.
The Story & Poetry Slam turns the traditional storytelling olio concert upside-down and inside-out. Instead of paid professional tellers entertaining a captive audience, slam patrons wishing to tell a story will simply drop their names into a hat, and poets who wish to read or recite will do the same.
From each - the Story Hat and the Poetry Hat - five names will be drawn at random. Three story judges and three poetry judges selected from the audience will put their heads together and select the winning stories and poems of the night. First-place teller and poet take home cash prizes.
The theme for the next Story & Poetry Slam is "Passed Over." Stories should be true (or mostly true), 10 minutes or under and related to the evening's theme. Poems should also be related to the theme, free as to form, and five minutes or less in length.
All community members with a story or poem to share are encouraged to throw their names into the hat.
The Story Slam is not just for professional storytellers or published poets, but for anyone with a story to tell or a poem that speaks to the heart of an audience.
The special featured guest poet for this event will be Jesse Graves. Graves teaches Poetry and American Literature at ETSU, where he was given the 2012 New Faculty Award from the College of Arts & Sciences.
Graves' first poetry collection, "Tennessee Landscape with Blighted Pine," was published by Texas Review Press in 2011, and won the 2012 Weatherford Award in Poetry from Berea College, the Appalachian Studies Association and the Book of the Year Award in Poetry from the Appalachian Writers' Association.
Re-Generation, the Johnson City Story & Poetry Slam, will be held on April 18 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at The Battery (601 Spring Street, Johnson City, TN).
Admission for this event is free, but there is a suggested donation of $5.
Caution: This is an adult event. Beer will be cold. Stories and poems may be hot!
For more information about this event, visit www.facebook.com/pages/Re-Generation-A-Johnson-City-Story-Poetry- Slam/212473495492708
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge