GM offers a car for those with a budget
The Chevrolet Impala is one of Chevrolet's most iconic cars. From 2006 to 2008, Chevrolet offered the SS package for the Impala which featured a 5.3 liter V8.
One of the more interesting features of the Impala SS is that it featured a small block V8 combined with front-wheel drive.
This made the vehicle handle surprisingly well and for what it's worth, I found myself having a lot of fun with this car.
In my opinion, the 5.3 liter V8 was one of GM's best motors as of late. Along with the Impala SS, you could also find it in the Buick Lacrosse Super and the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.
It's a shame that at about the time of these cars inception, GM was asking for a bailout and consequently rebooting their entire lineup, but that's a different story for a different day.
As for this particular Impala SS, I was in love with it. I already am a fan of the Lacrosse Super so driving the Impala had many similar characteristics. The car is definitely what I would call a sleeper. It's very tame in its appearance and the interior isn't anything to get fired up about, but when you put your foot on the gas, the car comes alive.
As for the interior, it's rather blah. Many other automotive journalists criticized the Impala's interior and I can't help but agree with them.
It has quite a whiff of cheapness to it. Plastic panels abound and pushing any of the buttons seems to make the entire faceplate shift around.
Now, I'll just go ahead and say I like this car, but interior amenities are towards the bottom of the list when it comes to things I want on a car, and, despite the interior's cheapness, it is quite roomy.
This car doesn't get great gas mileage, but no one is going to buy any Chevrolet marked with the SS for the fuel mileage.
The front-wheel drive can be classified as a love-hate relationship. I might love it for the handling, but I could also see a more traditional American car enthusiast finding the idea of a front-wheel drive V8 totally ludicrous.
Alas, one of the nicer things about the pre-bailout GM vehicles is that when GM finally got the stimulus money, many of its vehicles produced just prior to the stimulus package saw a drastic drop in price on used car markets.
These cars, the Impala SS included, are relatively cheap and ideal for the individual looking for a bargain on a slightly used car.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Editor overviews opponents Lady Bucs will face while in SoCon
- Buc Volleyball wins emotional game, downs Radford in five sets
- ETSU shuts out Wofford 3-0 snapping two-game losing streak
- Artist perfects blues with mixed sounds in three studio-released recordings
- ‘Giggles and Glee’ weekend to bring free fun and games to ETSU campus
- ‘Killing Them Softly’ offers some potential
- Amalgram to bring musical blend
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections