ETSU to stand against violence
This Thursday, East Tennessee State University will be commemorating an event dedicated to bringing attention to bruised bodies rather than chocolate hearts, and violation rather than adoration. This Valentine's Day, ETSU will be celebrating the 15th anniversary of One Billion Rising.
One Billion Rising recognizes and calls attention to worldwide rape and abuse committed against women. According to statistics, 1 in 3 women will be raped or abused during her life. This statistic adds up to 1 billion.
The event invites women and men to rise against rape and abuse. Likewise, the event serves as a reminder that women across the globe share a common experiences and problems - problems which they can conquer together.
According to the website www.onebillionrising.org, "One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime. One billion women violated is an atrocity. One billion women dancing is a revolution."
On Feb. 14 at 12:45 p.m., there will be a silent march around ETSU's campus.
According to V-Day organizers, "When One Billion bodies rise and dance on 14 February 2013, we will join in solidarity, purpose and energy and shake the world into a new consciousness.
"Dancing insists we take up space. It has no set direction ,but we go there together. It's dangerous, joyous, sexual, holy, disruptive. It breaks the rules. It can happen anywhere at anytime with anyone and everyone. It's free. No corporation can control it. It joins us and pushes us to go further. It's contagious and it spreads quickly. It's of the body. It's transcendent."
From 7-11 p.m. there will be an alcohol-free dance event at the Galaxy Lounge (located at 216 E. Main St in downtown Johnson City). Music will be provided by Jen Rock, The Cry Babies, Amythyst Kiah and Charis Hixson.
Entry will be $5 and proceeds will go towards non-profit organizations dedicated to aiding female survivors of violence.
Organizers for ETSU's commemoration of One Billion Rising include the ETSU student group, the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, the ETSU Women's Studies Department and Shakti in the Mountains, a local organization offering support to women, as well as the Amazing Woman Foundation.
For more information about the silent march contact Shae Keene at email@example.com.
For more information about or to volunteer for the evening dance, contact Casey Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about One Billion Rising, visit www.onebillionrising.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR