Hispanic Student Day held
On Oct. 26, the Language and Culture Resource Center hosted the 12th annual Hispanic Student Day.
This program invites Hispanic high school students to the ETSU campus to learn about the application process and scholarships for college and experience a bit of campus life. Over 100 students from Science Hill, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Dobyns-Bennett, Unicoi County and Greeneville high schools attended. The students were welcomed into the Bud Frank Theater in the morning to receive talks from many university offices and organizations. Guest speakers from Northeast State Community College, Milligan College and King College addressed the students as well. The high school students were entertained with a performance by the ETSU Bluegrass Band and a question-and-answer session with members of the ETSU men's soccer team. ETSU volunteers gave the students a tour of the ETSU campus including stops at Governors Hall, Sherrod Library, the Basler Center for Physical Activity and the Aerial Dance Studio in Brooks Gym. To finish out the day, the students received a free lunch in the Marketplace paid for by Northeast, Milligan, King and the LCRC. The ETSU dance department also gave a performance in the Culp dining rooms while the students enjoyed their lunch.
The overall goal of this annual event is to encourage the students to graduate from high school and help them with the transition into college. This year's event was a great success due to the cooperation and donations from university offices and departments. If you or your office would like to volunteer or help with this event in the future, contact Peri Loftis at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!