Hispanic Student Day held
On Oct. 26, the Language and Culture Resource Center hosted the 12th annual Hispanic Student Day.
This program invites Hispanic high school students to the ETSU campus to learn about the application process and scholarships for college and experience a bit of campus life. Over 100 students from Science Hill, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Dobyns-Bennett, Unicoi County and Greeneville high schools attended. The students were welcomed into the Bud Frank Theater in the morning to receive talks from many university offices and organizations. Guest speakers from Northeast State Community College, Milligan College and King College addressed the students as well. The high school students were entertained with a performance by the ETSU Bluegrass Band and a question-and-answer session with members of the ETSU men's soccer team. ETSU volunteers gave the students a tour of the ETSU campus including stops at Governors Hall, Sherrod Library, the Basler Center for Physical Activity and the Aerial Dance Studio in Brooks Gym. To finish out the day, the students received a free lunch in the Marketplace paid for by Northeast, Milligan, King and the LCRC. The ETSU dance department also gave a performance in the Culp dining rooms while the students enjoyed their lunch.
The overall goal of this annual event is to encourage the students to graduate from high school and help them with the transition into college. This year's event was a great success due to the cooperation and donations from university offices and departments. If you or your office would like to volunteer or help with this event in the future, contact Peri Loftis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU Farmers’ Market seeks musicians for upcoming season
- Guitarist will perform at ETSU
- 14 students attend open forums about Culp renovation
- Senate passes resolution allowing students to write on office window
- ETSU tennis team 2-0 in Southern Conference
- Lady Bucs end season with loss to NC State
- ETSU announces stadium location
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...