Hispanic Student Day held
On Oct. 26, the Language and Culture Resource Center hosted the 12th annual Hispanic Student Day.
This program invites Hispanic high school students to the ETSU campus to learn about the application process and scholarships for college and experience a bit of campus life. Over 100 students from Science Hill, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Dobyns-Bennett, Unicoi County and Greeneville high schools attended. The students were welcomed into the Bud Frank Theater in the morning to receive talks from many university offices and organizations. Guest speakers from Northeast State Community College, Milligan College and King College addressed the students as well. The high school students were entertained with a performance by the ETSU Bluegrass Band and a question-and-answer session with members of the ETSU men's soccer team. ETSU volunteers gave the students a tour of the ETSU campus including stops at Governors Hall, Sherrod Library, the Basler Center for Physical Activity and the Aerial Dance Studio in Brooks Gym. To finish out the day, the students received a free lunch in the Marketplace paid for by Northeast, Milligan, King and the LCRC. The ETSU dance department also gave a performance in the Culp dining rooms while the students enjoyed their lunch.
The overall goal of this annual event is to encourage the students to graduate from high school and help them with the transition into college. This year's event was a great success due to the cooperation and donations from university offices and departments. If you or your office would like to volunteer or help with this event in the future, contact Peri Loftis at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership