Hispanic Student Day held
On Oct. 26, the Language and Culture Resource Center hosted the 12th annual Hispanic Student Day.
This program invites Hispanic high school students to the ETSU campus to learn about the application process and scholarships for college and experience a bit of campus life. Over 100 students from Science Hill, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Dobyns-Bennett, Unicoi County and Greeneville high schools attended. The students were welcomed into the Bud Frank Theater in the morning to receive talks from many university offices and organizations. Guest speakers from Northeast State Community College, Milligan College and King College addressed the students as well. The high school students were entertained with a performance by the ETSU Bluegrass Band and a question-and-answer session with members of the ETSU men's soccer team. ETSU volunteers gave the students a tour of the ETSU campus including stops at Governors Hall, Sherrod Library, the Basler Center for Physical Activity and the Aerial Dance Studio in Brooks Gym. To finish out the day, the students received a free lunch in the Marketplace paid for by Northeast, Milligan, King and the LCRC. The ETSU dance department also gave a performance in the Culp dining rooms while the students enjoyed their lunch.
The overall goal of this annual event is to encourage the students to graduate from high school and help them with the transition into college. This year's event was a great success due to the cooperation and donations from university offices and departments. If you or your office would like to volunteer or help with this event in the future, contact Peri Loftis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS