Hispanic Student Day held
On Oct. 26, the Language and Culture Resource Center hosted the 12th annual Hispanic Student Day.
This program invites Hispanic high school students to the ETSU campus to learn about the application process and scholarships for college and experience a bit of campus life. Over 100 students from Science Hill, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Dobyns-Bennett, Unicoi County and Greeneville high schools attended. The students were welcomed into the Bud Frank Theater in the morning to receive talks from many university offices and organizations. Guest speakers from Northeast State Community College, Milligan College and King College addressed the students as well. The high school students were entertained with a performance by the ETSU Bluegrass Band and a question-and-answer session with members of the ETSU men's soccer team. ETSU volunteers gave the students a tour of the ETSU campus including stops at Governors Hall, Sherrod Library, the Basler Center for Physical Activity and the Aerial Dance Studio in Brooks Gym. To finish out the day, the students received a free lunch in the Marketplace paid for by Northeast, Milligan, King and the LCRC. The ETSU dance department also gave a performance in the Culp dining rooms while the students enjoyed their lunch.
The overall goal of this annual event is to encourage the students to graduate from high school and help them with the transition into college. This year's event was a great success due to the cooperation and donations from university offices and departments. If you or your office would like to volunteer or help with this event in the future, contact Peri Loftis at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR