Fall festivities begin
The time has come to set out the pumpkins, unbox the sweaters, and figure out what you're going to be for Halloween because fall is here.
In the Tri-Cities, fall is not quite as celebrated as Christmas, but it has its own little niche in the hearts of citizens in this area. There are plenty of things to do here in East Tennessee when it comes to fall. You just have to know where to look.
The following list shares my top five favorite things to do during the fall season that can turn into an event for any amount of people.
Bays Mountain Park. Right in out backyard, Bays Mountain boasts gorgeous views, wildlife and tons of trails for the active adventure seekers. For me, I prefer going up there with my camera, snapping a few photos and enjoying the different versions of orange their trees create. For only $3, you get access to the park as well as its resource center that houses the planetarium. Another great attraction is the wolves. These wild animals really show their colors against the fall foliage.
Meyers Pumpkin Patch. You have to go to at least one pumpkin patch this fall, so why not make it one that's the closest? Myers Pumpkin Patch, located in Bulls Gap, is a perfect place to pick your pumpkins or get your corn maze fix - whether it be haunted or not. They sell tons of homemade products ranging from scarecrows to candy. It is simply not fall without a good candy straw of honey from Meyers.
Frightmare Manor. Undoubtedly, one of the scariest things I've ever been through was this nightmare of a maze. Their claim to fame is that if you pass all levels of the fright, you get your money back. I believe you should also get a medal. Located in Talbott, Tenn., just outside of Morristown, this haunted house is a nationally recognized haunt, and once you have been through it, you will know why.
The National Storytelling Festival. This festival, held in Jonesborough, Tenn., is home to hundreds of storytellers who come from around the nation to share the art on storytelling. Other than the great stories being told, you get a chance to visit Historic Downtown Jonesborough with its many shops, including a toy store, a candy store and a very tasty cupcake shop. All of these things, including a walk down Main Street with your friends, make for a wonderful fall day.
The Unicoi County Apple Festival. This fall festival is a great blend of food, family and fun. The food obviously centered on apples brings wonderful tart tastes to any dish. The fun lies in the live music, contests and other great crafts and activities available to the visitors.
Family is what is really a focus here. With this time of the year beginning to focus more and more on family, the inclusion of relatives, both friends and family, ignite a warm fall feeling in all of us.
These festivals, events and simple places to go are what really exude a fall feeling, and with them being so close to our area, it's simple to visit one or all if you choose. They may even become a tradition amongst you and your friends and family.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'