Fall festivities begin
The time has come to set out the pumpkins, unbox the sweaters, and figure out what you're going to be for Halloween because fall is here.
In the Tri-Cities, fall is not quite as celebrated as Christmas, but it has its own little niche in the hearts of citizens in this area. There are plenty of things to do here in East Tennessee when it comes to fall. You just have to know where to look.
The following list shares my top five favorite things to do during the fall season that can turn into an event for any amount of people.
Bays Mountain Park. Right in out backyard, Bays Mountain boasts gorgeous views, wildlife and tons of trails for the active adventure seekers. For me, I prefer going up there with my camera, snapping a few photos and enjoying the different versions of orange their trees create. For only $3, you get access to the park as well as its resource center that houses the planetarium. Another great attraction is the wolves. These wild animals really show their colors against the fall foliage.
Meyers Pumpkin Patch. You have to go to at least one pumpkin patch this fall, so why not make it one that's the closest? Myers Pumpkin Patch, located in Bulls Gap, is a perfect place to pick your pumpkins or get your corn maze fix - whether it be haunted or not. They sell tons of homemade products ranging from scarecrows to candy. It is simply not fall without a good candy straw of honey from Meyers.
Frightmare Manor. Undoubtedly, one of the scariest things I've ever been through was this nightmare of a maze. Their claim to fame is that if you pass all levels of the fright, you get your money back. I believe you should also get a medal. Located in Talbott, Tenn., just outside of Morristown, this haunted house is a nationally recognized haunt, and once you have been through it, you will know why.
The National Storytelling Festival. This festival, held in Jonesborough, Tenn., is home to hundreds of storytellers who come from around the nation to share the art on storytelling. Other than the great stories being told, you get a chance to visit Historic Downtown Jonesborough with its many shops, including a toy store, a candy store and a very tasty cupcake shop. All of these things, including a walk down Main Street with your friends, make for a wonderful fall day.
The Unicoi County Apple Festival. This fall festival is a great blend of food, family and fun. The food obviously centered on apples brings wonderful tart tastes to any dish. The fun lies in the live music, contests and other great crafts and activities available to the visitors.
Family is what is really a focus here. With this time of the year beginning to focus more and more on family, the inclusion of relatives, both friends and family, ignite a warm fall feeling in all of us.
These festivals, events and simple places to go are what really exude a fall feeling, and with them being so close to our area, it's simple to visit one or all if you choose. They may even become a tradition amongst you and your friends and family.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!