Fall festivities begin
The time has come to set out the pumpkins, unbox the sweaters, and figure out what you're going to be for Halloween because fall is here.
In the Tri-Cities, fall is not quite as celebrated as Christmas, but it has its own little niche in the hearts of citizens in this area. There are plenty of things to do here in East Tennessee when it comes to fall. You just have to know where to look.
The following list shares my top five favorite things to do during the fall season that can turn into an event for any amount of people.
Bays Mountain Park. Right in out backyard, Bays Mountain boasts gorgeous views, wildlife and tons of trails for the active adventure seekers. For me, I prefer going up there with my camera, snapping a few photos and enjoying the different versions of orange their trees create. For only $3, you get access to the park as well as its resource center that houses the planetarium. Another great attraction is the wolves. These wild animals really show their colors against the fall foliage.
Meyers Pumpkin Patch. You have to go to at least one pumpkin patch this fall, so why not make it one that's the closest? Myers Pumpkin Patch, located in Bulls Gap, is a perfect place to pick your pumpkins or get your corn maze fix - whether it be haunted or not. They sell tons of homemade products ranging from scarecrows to candy. It is simply not fall without a good candy straw of honey from Meyers.
Frightmare Manor. Undoubtedly, one of the scariest things I've ever been through was this nightmare of a maze. Their claim to fame is that if you pass all levels of the fright, you get your money back. I believe you should also get a medal. Located in Talbott, Tenn., just outside of Morristown, this haunted house is a nationally recognized haunt, and once you have been through it, you will know why.
The National Storytelling Festival. This festival, held in Jonesborough, Tenn., is home to hundreds of storytellers who come from around the nation to share the art on storytelling. Other than the great stories being told, you get a chance to visit Historic Downtown Jonesborough with its many shops, including a toy store, a candy store and a very tasty cupcake shop. All of these things, including a walk down Main Street with your friends, make for a wonderful fall day.
The Unicoi County Apple Festival. This fall festival is a great blend of food, family and fun. The food obviously centered on apples brings wonderful tart tastes to any dish. The fun lies in the live music, contests and other great crafts and activities available to the visitors.
Family is what is really a focus here. With this time of the year beginning to focus more and more on family, the inclusion of relatives, both friends and family, ignite a warm fall feeling in all of us.
These festivals, events and simple places to go are what really exude a fall feeling, and with them being so close to our area, it's simple to visit one or all if you choose. They may even become a tradition amongst you and your friends and family.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!