Track & field performs well at Highlander Invite
Battling the elements, the ETSU track & field program was able to find some successes in field events on a rain-shortened Friday at the Highlander Invitational inside Cupp Stadium on the Radford University campus.
Due to inclement weather in the Radford area, only four of the scheduled seven events on Friday were completed.
Contending against a reduced contingent of competition in the field events, ETSU was able to turn in some solid results. In the women's discus throw, Verena Tobis and Tyesha Jones occupied spots two and three in the event with marks of 43.10 and 40.61 meters, respectively. Tobis continued on to place second, again, in the javelin throw with a toss of 42.09 meters.
On the men's side, the Bucs absorbed four of the top nine spots in the long jump, highlighted by Stephond Allmond in a tie for fourth with an outdoor-best leap of 6.19 meters, while Evaristo Valls trailed in sixth overall with a mark of 6.16 meters. Valls also turned in a fifth-place standing in the javelin throw with a mark of 45.98 meters, while Blake Isom followed in the same event in seventh with a toss of 45.39 meters.
Now with a revised scheduled, Saturday's competition opens with the men's discus throw and the women's shot put at 9 a.m. Following will be a day chock-full of events including men's and women's 4x100 meter relays kicking things off on the track at noon. Action at the Invite will conclude with men's and women's 4x400 meter relays at 4:45 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!