Track & field performs well at Highlander Invite
Battling the elements, the ETSU track & field program was able to find some successes in field events on a rain-shortened Friday at the Highlander Invitational inside Cupp Stadium on the Radford University campus.
Due to inclement weather in the Radford area, only four of the scheduled seven events on Friday were completed.
Contending against a reduced contingent of competition in the field events, ETSU was able to turn in some solid results. In the women's discus throw, Verena Tobis and Tyesha Jones occupied spots two and three in the event with marks of 43.10 and 40.61 meters, respectively. Tobis continued on to place second, again, in the javelin throw with a toss of 42.09 meters.
On the men's side, the Bucs absorbed four of the top nine spots in the long jump, highlighted by Stephond Allmond in a tie for fourth with an outdoor-best leap of 6.19 meters, while Evaristo Valls trailed in sixth overall with a mark of 6.16 meters. Valls also turned in a fifth-place standing in the javelin throw with a mark of 45.98 meters, while Blake Isom followed in the same event in seventh with a toss of 45.39 meters.
Now with a revised scheduled, Saturday's competition opens with the men's discus throw and the women's shot put at 9 a.m. Following will be a day chock-full of events including men's and women's 4x100 meter relays kicking things off on the track at noon. Action at the Invite will conclude with men's and women's 4x400 meter relays at 4:45 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance