Students fear large tuition increase
ETSU students have expressed concerns about the possibility of Tennessee Board of Regents implementing a large tuition increase in an effort to supplement the lower level of student-generated income the university received this year due to a drop in enrollment.
"I originally attended ETSU for the competitive tuition and this increase is news that I really did not want to hear," junior Aaron Yielding said. "I don't support it and wish that tuition wasn't going up at all."
After ETSU enrollment fell by 449 students between spring 2013 and spring 2014, the university implemented a 1 1/2 percent budget cut and a soft hiring freeze.
Students have also expressed concerns about the additional expenses the reinstatement of the ETSU football program might mean for students.
"With the new football team coming to ETSU, one can expect to see at least somewhat of a increase in tuition," sophomore Brett Hughes said. "The addition of a new football program will most likely in the end be worth it. It will bring in more money and help the university to grow in the end."
Though some students do not necessarily want to pay for the program, they think that the program will be a nice addition to the university.
"I think that with the new football team students will unfairly have to foot the bill, but the benefits of a new team would be great," sophomore Chris McCollum said. "It would attract more students and bring in more money and allow the university to expand, as well as increase the school spirit throughout campus, which is something I think ETSU is lacking."
TBR will meet June 20 to set tuition rates for its schools.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus