Students fear large tuition increase
ETSU students have expressed concerns about the possibility of Tennessee Board of Regents implementing a large tuition increase in an effort to supplement the lower level of student-generated income the university received this year due to a drop in enrollment.
"I originally attended ETSU for the competitive tuition and this increase is news that I really did not want to hear," junior Aaron Yielding said. "I don't support it and wish that tuition wasn't going up at all."
After ETSU enrollment fell by 449 students between spring 2013 and spring 2014, the university implemented a 1 1/2 percent budget cut and a soft hiring freeze.
Students have also expressed concerns about the additional expenses the reinstatement of the ETSU football program might mean for students.
"With the new football team coming to ETSU, one can expect to see at least somewhat of a increase in tuition," sophomore Brett Hughes said. "The addition of a new football program will most likely in the end be worth it. It will bring in more money and help the university to grow in the end."
Though some students do not necessarily want to pay for the program, they think that the program will be a nice addition to the university.
"I think that with the new football team students will unfairly have to foot the bill, but the benefits of a new team would be great," sophomore Chris McCollum said. "It would attract more students and bring in more money and allow the university to expand, as well as increase the school spirit throughout campus, which is something I think ETSU is lacking."
TBR will meet June 20 to set tuition rates for its schools.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge