Students fear large tuition increase
ETSU students have expressed concerns about the possibility of Tennessee Board of Regents implementing a large tuition increase in an effort to supplement the lower level of student-generated income the university received this year due to a drop in enrollment.
"I originally attended ETSU for the competitive tuition and this increase is news that I really did not want to hear," junior Aaron Yielding said. "I don't support it and wish that tuition wasn't going up at all."
After ETSU enrollment fell by 449 students between spring 2013 and spring 2014, the university implemented a 1 1/2 percent budget cut and a soft hiring freeze.
Students have also expressed concerns about the additional expenses the reinstatement of the ETSU football program might mean for students.
"With the new football team coming to ETSU, one can expect to see at least somewhat of a increase in tuition," sophomore Brett Hughes said. "The addition of a new football program will most likely in the end be worth it. It will bring in more money and help the university to grow in the end."
Though some students do not necessarily want to pay for the program, they think that the program will be a nice addition to the university.
"I think that with the new football team students will unfairly have to foot the bill, but the benefits of a new team would be great," sophomore Chris McCollum said. "It would attract more students and bring in more money and allow the university to expand, as well as increase the school spirit throughout campus, which is something I think ETSU is lacking."
TBR will meet June 20 to set tuition rates for its schools.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists