Step It Up
Alpha Xi Delta hosts “The AmaXIng Challenge”
The women of Alpha Xi Delta's Gamma Theta Chapter at ETSU hosted "The AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up "on April 5 at Civitan Park in Johnson City. 114 people participated in the 5K walk/run to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, Alpha Xi Delta's national philanthropy partner. The event raised $6,000.
Step It Up donations included Champion Chevrolet, Johnson & Galyon, Wendy's, Bojangles, Holiday Lanes, University Edge, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Krispy Kreme, TruPoint, and Citizen's Bank. Alpha Xi Delta would like to extend a special thanks to Johnson & Galyon - our top sponsor for the event. All proceeds from the event will be donated to Autism Speaks, a national autism research and advocacy organization.
"One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism so the time to act and find the missing pieces of the autism puzzle is now," said Alpha Xi Delta's Kelsey King-Hook, philanthropy chair.
"We enjoyed presenting our AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up and are grateful for the support our event and Autism Speaks received from the community, especially our sponsors listed above."
Founded in 1893 at Lombard College, now Knox College, in Galesburg, Ill., Alpha Xi Delta inspires women to realize their potential by providing opportunities for sisterhood, leadership, knowledge and service.
The national women's fraternity has nearly 150,000 initiated members and has college chapters on 112 college campuses and 130 alumnae associations nationwide. The ETSU Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta was founded in 1956.
For more information on Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity, visit www.alphaxidelta.org. For more information on the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta, visit etsu.alphaxidelta.org.
Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 150 children in the United States, affecting four times as many boys as girls. The prevalence of autism has increased tenfold in the last decade.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.
Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of Autistic Spectrum Disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and cure for autism, and to advocating for the needs of affected families. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism.
Bob Wright is vice chairman of General Electric, and served as chief executive officer of NBC for more than 20 years. Autism Speaks has merged with both the National Alliance for Autism Research and Cure Autism Now, bringing together the nation's three leading autism advocacy organizations.
To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit www.autismspeaks.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”