Step It Up
Alpha Xi Delta hosts “The AmaXIng Challenge”
The women of Alpha Xi Delta's Gamma Theta Chapter at ETSU hosted "The AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up "on April 5 at Civitan Park in Johnson City. 114 people participated in the 5K walk/run to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, Alpha Xi Delta's national philanthropy partner. The event raised $6,000.
Step It Up donations included Champion Chevrolet, Johnson & Galyon, Wendy's, Bojangles, Holiday Lanes, University Edge, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Krispy Kreme, TruPoint, and Citizen's Bank. Alpha Xi Delta would like to extend a special thanks to Johnson & Galyon - our top sponsor for the event. All proceeds from the event will be donated to Autism Speaks, a national autism research and advocacy organization.
"One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism so the time to act and find the missing pieces of the autism puzzle is now," said Alpha Xi Delta's Kelsey King-Hook, philanthropy chair.
"We enjoyed presenting our AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up and are grateful for the support our event and Autism Speaks received from the community, especially our sponsors listed above."
Founded in 1893 at Lombard College, now Knox College, in Galesburg, Ill., Alpha Xi Delta inspires women to realize their potential by providing opportunities for sisterhood, leadership, knowledge and service.
The national women's fraternity has nearly 150,000 initiated members and has college chapters on 112 college campuses and 130 alumnae associations nationwide. The ETSU Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta was founded in 1956.
For more information on Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity, visit www.alphaxidelta.org. For more information on the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta, visit etsu.alphaxidelta.org.
Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 150 children in the United States, affecting four times as many boys as girls. The prevalence of autism has increased tenfold in the last decade.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.
Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of Autistic Spectrum Disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and cure for autism, and to advocating for the needs of affected families. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism.
Bob Wright is vice chairman of General Electric, and served as chief executive officer of NBC for more than 20 years. Autism Speaks has merged with both the National Alliance for Autism Research and Cure Autism Now, bringing together the nation's three leading autism advocacy organizations.
To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit www.autismspeaks.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists