Step It Up
Alpha Xi Delta hosts “The AmaXIng Challenge”
The women of Alpha Xi Delta's Gamma Theta Chapter at ETSU hosted "The AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up "on April 5 at Civitan Park in Johnson City. 114 people participated in the 5K walk/run to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, Alpha Xi Delta's national philanthropy partner. The event raised $6,000.
Step It Up donations included Champion Chevrolet, Johnson & Galyon, Wendy's, Bojangles, Holiday Lanes, University Edge, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Krispy Kreme, TruPoint, and Citizen's Bank. Alpha Xi Delta would like to extend a special thanks to Johnson & Galyon - our top sponsor for the event. All proceeds from the event will be donated to Autism Speaks, a national autism research and advocacy organization.
"One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism so the time to act and find the missing pieces of the autism puzzle is now," said Alpha Xi Delta's Kelsey King-Hook, philanthropy chair.
"We enjoyed presenting our AmaXIng Challenge: Step It Up and are grateful for the support our event and Autism Speaks received from the community, especially our sponsors listed above."
Founded in 1893 at Lombard College, now Knox College, in Galesburg, Ill., Alpha Xi Delta inspires women to realize their potential by providing opportunities for sisterhood, leadership, knowledge and service.
The national women's fraternity has nearly 150,000 initiated members and has college chapters on 112 college campuses and 130 alumnae associations nationwide. The ETSU Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta was founded in 1956.
For more information on Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity, visit www.alphaxidelta.org. For more information on the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta, visit etsu.alphaxidelta.org.
Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 150 children in the United States, affecting four times as many boys as girls. The prevalence of autism has increased tenfold in the last decade.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.
Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of Autistic Spectrum Disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and cure for autism, and to advocating for the needs of affected families. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism.
Bob Wright is vice chairman of General Electric, and served as chief executive officer of NBC for more than 20 years. Autism Speaks has merged with both the National Alliance for Autism Research and Cure Autism Now, bringing together the nation's three leading autism advocacy organizations.
To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit www.autismspeaks.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge