Senate votes to increase student fees
The ETSU Student Government Association voted Tuesday to increase the student sustainability fee from $5 to $7.
The Senate approved in a 14-11 vote the $2 fee hike, which will be utilized to fund more sustainable projects.
Though the vote passed, several senators felt that expanding the sustainability fee was not the right course of action.
"Two dollars per semester may not seem like a lot to some, but the university administration is continuing to nickel-and-dime the students in order to fund various initiatives and projects across campus," Sen. Jayke Hamill said.
"Expansion is a great thing, but not at the expense of students' wallets - $2, $5, $50, $125 a semester, it doesn't matter. I haven't spoken with a single student who had said, 'Yes, I really want to pay more student fees.'"
Hamill said that the Senate was not made aware of whether the sponsors of the legislation had sought other forms of funding prior to resolving to increase student fees.
"What we do know is that nearly every academic program on campus has lost funding, the entire university is under a hiring freeze, tuition will continue to rise dramatically, and money is becoming tighter and tighter for every student who attends here," Hamill said. "Yet somehow SGA senators are convinced that paying more into the university is in the best interest of students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care