Senate votes to increase student fees
The ETSU Student Government Association voted Tuesday to increase the student sustainability fee from $5 to $7.
The Senate approved in a 14-11 vote the $2 fee hike, which will be utilized to fund more sustainable projects.
Though the vote passed, several senators felt that expanding the sustainability fee was not the right course of action.
"Two dollars per semester may not seem like a lot to some, but the university administration is continuing to nickel-and-dime the students in order to fund various initiatives and projects across campus," Sen. Jayke Hamill said.
"Expansion is a great thing, but not at the expense of students' wallets - $2, $5, $50, $125 a semester, it doesn't matter. I haven't spoken with a single student who had said, 'Yes, I really want to pay more student fees.'"
Hamill said that the Senate was not made aware of whether the sponsors of the legislation had sought other forms of funding prior to resolving to increase student fees.
"What we do know is that nearly every academic program on campus has lost funding, the entire university is under a hiring freeze, tuition will continue to rise dramatically, and money is becoming tighter and tighter for every student who attends here," Hamill said. "Yet somehow SGA senators are convinced that paying more into the university is in the best interest of students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards