Senate votes to increase student fees
The ETSU Student Government Association voted Tuesday to increase the student sustainability fee from $5 to $7.
The Senate approved in a 14-11 vote the $2 fee hike, which will be utilized to fund more sustainable projects.
Though the vote passed, several senators felt that expanding the sustainability fee was not the right course of action.
"Two dollars per semester may not seem like a lot to some, but the university administration is continuing to nickel-and-dime the students in order to fund various initiatives and projects across campus," Sen. Jayke Hamill said.
"Expansion is a great thing, but not at the expense of students' wallets - $2, $5, $50, $125 a semester, it doesn't matter. I haven't spoken with a single student who had said, 'Yes, I really want to pay more student fees.'"
Hamill said that the Senate was not made aware of whether the sponsors of the legislation had sought other forms of funding prior to resolving to increase student fees.
"What we do know is that nearly every academic program on campus has lost funding, the entire university is under a hiring freeze, tuition will continue to rise dramatically, and money is becoming tighter and tighter for every student who attends here," Hamill said. "Yet somehow SGA senators are convinced that paying more into the university is in the best interest of students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus