Senate votes to increase student fees
The ETSU Student Government Association voted Tuesday to increase the student sustainability fee from $5 to $7.
The Senate approved in a 14-11 vote the $2 fee hike, which will be utilized to fund more sustainable projects.
Though the vote passed, several senators felt that expanding the sustainability fee was not the right course of action.
"Two dollars per semester may not seem like a lot to some, but the university administration is continuing to nickel-and-dime the students in order to fund various initiatives and projects across campus," Sen. Jayke Hamill said.
"Expansion is a great thing, but not at the expense of students' wallets - $2, $5, $50, $125 a semester, it doesn't matter. I haven't spoken with a single student who had said, 'Yes, I really want to pay more student fees.'"
Hamill said that the Senate was not made aware of whether the sponsors of the legislation had sought other forms of funding prior to resolving to increase student fees.
"What we do know is that nearly every academic program on campus has lost funding, the entire university is under a hiring freeze, tuition will continue to rise dramatically, and money is becoming tighter and tighter for every student who attends here," Hamill said. "Yet somehow SGA senators are convinced that paying more into the university is in the best interest of students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Student tickets go quickly for first football game
- Victory from within at ETSU
- Arts Initiative generates community enthusiasm
- Men’s soccer ends exhibition play with win
- Women’s volleyball predicted to have outstanding season
- Search ongoing for starting quarterback
- Football program boasts memorable history
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE