Senate votes to increase student fees
The ETSU Student Government Association voted Tuesday to increase the student sustainability fee from $5 to $7.
The Senate approved in a 14-11 vote the $2 fee hike, which will be utilized to fund more sustainable projects.
Though the vote passed, several senators felt that expanding the sustainability fee was not the right course of action.
"Two dollars per semester may not seem like a lot to some, but the university administration is continuing to nickel-and-dime the students in order to fund various initiatives and projects across campus," Sen. Jayke Hamill said.
"Expansion is a great thing, but not at the expense of students' wallets - $2, $5, $50, $125 a semester, it doesn't matter. I haven't spoken with a single student who had said, 'Yes, I really want to pay more student fees.'"
Hamill said that the Senate was not made aware of whether the sponsors of the legislation had sought other forms of funding prior to resolving to increase student fees.
"What we do know is that nearly every academic program on campus has lost funding, the entire university is under a hiring freeze, tuition will continue to rise dramatically, and money is becoming tighter and tighter for every student who attends here," Hamill said. "Yet somehow SGA senators are convinced that paying more into the university is in the best interest of students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Editor overviews opponents Lady Bucs will face while in SoCon
- Buc Volleyball wins emotional game, downs Radford in five sets
- ETSU shuts out Wofford 3-0 snapping two-game losing streak
- Artist perfects blues with mixed sounds in three studio-released recordings
- ‘Giggles and Glee’ weekend to bring free fun and games to ETSU campus
- ‘Killing Them Softly’ offers some potential
- Amalgram to bring musical blend
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections