Men's golf places third at A-Sun Championship
The ETSU men's golf team needed to make up 11 shots in the final round of the Atlantic Sun Championship, but despite posting the lowest score on Tuesday, the Bucs were unable to gain any ground on the leaders.
The Bucs carded a 4-over-par 297 in the final round at The Legends Golf Club and finished in third-place at 20-over-par 884 (299-293-292) for the championship. In the end, ETSU finished 10 shots back of team champion Mercer and four shots behind runner-up Kennesaw State.
The 33rd-ranked Bears captured their first-ever A-Sun title by registering a three-round score of 10-over-par 874 (290-291-293) and held off the 40th-ranked Owls by six strokes. ETSU was led by the strong play of Adrian Meronk, Chris Hickman, and Rhys Pugh as the Buccaneer trio finished in the top-10.
Meronk (73-73-73) and Pugh (76-72-71) tied for fifth at 3-over-par 219, while Hickman tied for seventh at 4-over 220 (77-71-72). Pugh, last season's runner-up, fired a 1-under 71 on Tuesday and Hickman totaled three birdies and three bogeys for an even-par 72.
Mercer swept the team and individual titles as Trey Rule was the lone golfer to end the three-day tournament under-par.
Rule won the tournament at 1-under-par 215 (71-73-71), which was three strokes better than teammate James Beale and Kennesaw State's Teremoana Beaucousin and Austin Vick.
Rounding out the scoring for the blue and gold was freshman Mateusz Gradecki as he tied for 22nd at 13-over-par 229 (76-77-76). Sophomore Gudmundur Kristjansson, who led the Bucs on day one, tied for 29th at 16-over (74-80-78).
Mercer earned the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Regional, which will be played May 15-17.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!