Men's golf places third at A-Sun Championship
The ETSU men's golf team needed to make up 11 shots in the final round of the Atlantic Sun Championship, but despite posting the lowest score on Tuesday, the Bucs were unable to gain any ground on the leaders.
The Bucs carded a 4-over-par 297 in the final round at The Legends Golf Club and finished in third-place at 20-over-par 884 (299-293-292) for the championship. In the end, ETSU finished 10 shots back of team champion Mercer and four shots behind runner-up Kennesaw State.
The 33rd-ranked Bears captured their first-ever A-Sun title by registering a three-round score of 10-over-par 874 (290-291-293) and held off the 40th-ranked Owls by six strokes. ETSU was led by the strong play of Adrian Meronk, Chris Hickman, and Rhys Pugh as the Buccaneer trio finished in the top-10.
Meronk (73-73-73) and Pugh (76-72-71) tied for fifth at 3-over-par 219, while Hickman tied for seventh at 4-over 220 (77-71-72). Pugh, last season's runner-up, fired a 1-under 71 on Tuesday and Hickman totaled three birdies and three bogeys for an even-par 72.
Mercer swept the team and individual titles as Trey Rule was the lone golfer to end the three-day tournament under-par.
Rule won the tournament at 1-under-par 215 (71-73-71), which was three strokes better than teammate James Beale and Kennesaw State's Teremoana Beaucousin and Austin Vick.
Rounding out the scoring for the blue and gold was freshman Mateusz Gradecki as he tied for 22nd at 13-over-par 229 (76-77-76). Sophomore Gudmundur Kristjansson, who led the Bucs on day one, tied for 29th at 16-over (74-80-78).
Mercer earned the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Regional, which will be played May 15-17.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy