Men's golf places third at A-Sun Championship
The ETSU men's golf team needed to make up 11 shots in the final round of the Atlantic Sun Championship, but despite posting the lowest score on Tuesday, the Bucs were unable to gain any ground on the leaders.
The Bucs carded a 4-over-par 297 in the final round at The Legends Golf Club and finished in third-place at 20-over-par 884 (299-293-292) for the championship. In the end, ETSU finished 10 shots back of team champion Mercer and four shots behind runner-up Kennesaw State.
The 33rd-ranked Bears captured their first-ever A-Sun title by registering a three-round score of 10-over-par 874 (290-291-293) and held off the 40th-ranked Owls by six strokes. ETSU was led by the strong play of Adrian Meronk, Chris Hickman, and Rhys Pugh as the Buccaneer trio finished in the top-10.
Meronk (73-73-73) and Pugh (76-72-71) tied for fifth at 3-over-par 219, while Hickman tied for seventh at 4-over 220 (77-71-72). Pugh, last season's runner-up, fired a 1-under 71 on Tuesday and Hickman totaled three birdies and three bogeys for an even-par 72.
Mercer swept the team and individual titles as Trey Rule was the lone golfer to end the three-day tournament under-par.
Rule won the tournament at 1-under-par 215 (71-73-71), which was three strokes better than teammate James Beale and Kennesaw State's Teremoana Beaucousin and Austin Vick.
Rounding out the scoring for the blue and gold was freshman Mateusz Gradecki as he tied for 22nd at 13-over-par 229 (76-77-76). Sophomore Gudmundur Kristjansson, who led the Bucs on day one, tied for 29th at 16-over (74-80-78).
Mercer earned the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Regional, which will be played May 15-17.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership