President unveils new logo
ETSU President Brian Noland discusses the university’s new logo and the process the university will follow to transition from the old logo. Rebecca Ingram
ETSU President Brian Noland presented April 30 the university's new logo at the spring fling.
Throughout the 2013-14 academic year, the university has hosted focus groups for prospective logos and worked to take the comments of individuals who participated in the focus groups into account.
The university's new logo takes the form of a shield adorned with an "E" that incorporates the shape of the state of Tennessee.
This logo replaces the standing logo, which emphasized the initials of the university and the mountains of the East Tennessee region.
Noland said in a statement that has been posted to the university's new identity page on its website that the university believed that it was being represented by too many different logos.
"These images are used in a variety of forms such as business cards, letterhead, printed and graphic media, our website, and countless other representations of the institution," Noland wrote in the statement. "In addition to these three primary images, we also use more than 120 separate/secondary university logos to represent various colleges, departments, units, and clubs. This landscape is further confounded by a lack of clarity in the official colors for ETSU, which range from blue and gold to yellow and light blue, as well as shades of grey.
"As noted in the work of the Committee for 125, this lack of consistency has led to questions about the visual identity of ETSU."
Noland said that the change in logo is meant to develop consistency in terms of the university's identity.
"This will not be an overnight change," Noland said. "This will be a gradual transition, one that we anticipate may take about two years to complete."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”