University experiences two thefts in three weeks
The gazebo behind Davis Apartments was the site of an armed robbery Tuesday. Rebecca Ingram
Two ETSU students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday at the gazebo behind Davis Apartments.
James Wolf, 18, and Caylan Roberts, 18, told police that they were walking near the gazebo behind Davis Apartments when they were robbed.
According to the police report, Wolf approached two men who were sitting at a picnic table in the gazebo, and one asked him for $5 to buy something to eat.
Roberts did not enter the gazebo with Wolf.
When Wolf pulled out his wallet to give the man some money, one of the men sitting at the table said, "Cock it," and both men drew handguns.
The men instructed Wolf to empty his backpack and call Roberts over to the table.
Wolf and Roberts reported that the men stole a Batman wallet and $72.
This was the second occurrence of armed robbery at ETSU in the last three weeks.
ETSU students Mathew Sigmon, 20, and Jesse Capps, 19, were robbed at gunpoint on March 26 as they were walking back from Cookout.
According to the police report, a man approached Sigmon and Capps between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls, holding a gun by his right side.
The man instructed Sigmon and Capps to empty their pockets and place their items on the ground.
Sigmon and Capps reported the loss of $55 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs, as well as Capp's Social Security Card and $10.
The university issued a statement Tuesday, announcing that Public Safety would have a greater nighttime presence on campus for the rest of the semester.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy