University experiences two thefts in three weeks
The gazebo behind Davis Apartments was the site of an armed robbery Tuesday. Rebecca Ingram
Two ETSU students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday at the gazebo behind Davis Apartments.
James Wolf, 18, and Caylan Roberts, 18, told police that they were walking near the gazebo behind Davis Apartments when they were robbed.
According to the police report, Wolf approached two men who were sitting at a picnic table in the gazebo, and one asked him for $5 to buy something to eat.
Roberts did not enter the gazebo with Wolf.
When Wolf pulled out his wallet to give the man some money, one of the men sitting at the table said, "Cock it," and both men drew handguns.
The men instructed Wolf to empty his backpack and call Roberts over to the table.
Wolf and Roberts reported that the men stole a Batman wallet and $72.
This was the second occurrence of armed robbery at ETSU in the last three weeks.
ETSU students Mathew Sigmon, 20, and Jesse Capps, 19, were robbed at gunpoint on March 26 as they were walking back from Cookout.
According to the police report, a man approached Sigmon and Capps between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls, holding a gun by his right side.
The man instructed Sigmon and Capps to empty their pockets and place their items on the ground.
Sigmon and Capps reported the loss of $55 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs, as well as Capp's Social Security Card and $10.
The university issued a statement Tuesday, announcing that Public Safety would have a greater nighttime presence on campus for the rest of the semester.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”