SGA affiliates discuss position requirements
Individuals running for SGA positions utilize a variety of strategies for increasing name recognition, including posting flyers, using social media and meeting students in person. James Edgar
The Student Government Association election voting will open next week. A host of candidates are up for election, all of whom had certain constitutional requirements to meet for nomination.
Zack Sholes, SGA attorney general and a former chair of the SGA election commission, said that there are some intangible requirements outside the constitution as well.
"I believe that a passion and dedication to the university and more importantly to the students at this university is one of the most important factors," said Sholes, who is also a candidate for vice president. "Experience within the student government doing your absolute best with the position that you have in SGA is something that I believe candidates should strive for."
The SGA election debate will take place on April 14. The Office of E-Learning will be live-streaming the debate. Voting for the SGA election will open at 8 a.m. on April 15 and close at 6 p.m. on April 16 on ETSU's homepage.
According to Sally Lee, associate vice president for student affairs and SGA adviser, the requirements for candidates depend on whether the student is running for a seat on the Senate or for a position on the executive branch.
"If you're running for a Senate seat, you have to have an overall GPA of 2.5; you have to be enrolled for at least 12 hours, and you have to have been at ETSU for at least a semester," Lee said. Lee also said that each candidate for senator must run for a seat in the same department as their major.
Lee said that candidates for the executive branch - president, vice president or secretary - must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, must be enrolled for at least 12 hours, must be entering their junior year or higher, and must have been in SGA capacity for at least a semester. The SGA Constitution further states that: "Full-time status must be maintained throughout the tenure of office, excluding summer terms."
But Sholes said that he believes that the requirements for SGA candidates extends even beyond these stipulations.
"I believe that what truly qualifies individuals running for executive offices cannot be measured solely in GPA or credit hours," Sholes said. "I believe there is a difference between constitutionally qualified and personally qualified, and while the constitution provisions are what determines if a student may run ... I believe that the personal qualifications speak volumes about the candidates."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”