ETSU Quidditch future looks bright
The ETSU Quidditch team placed second in a tournament hosted Saturday March 22 on the CPA intramural fields.
The event was attended by two other universities, Furman and Tennessee Tech, and ended with Tennessee Tech taking home top honors.
"We had initially wanted the tournament to be a bit larger, but I'm actually kind of happy that it ended up being the size that it was," said Kaitlyn Mathis, vice president of the ETSU Quidditch Club. "I've found that the sense of camaraderie among the teams is greater at smaller tournaments."
After a spirited, overtime victory against the Furman Quidditch club, the home team was handily defeated by Tennessee Tech.
The tournament results were secondary in comparison to the victories achieved by the ETSU Quidditch team's leadership.
"My personal goal, as always, was to make sure that nobody got hurt," said Austin Duncan, the ETSU tournament coach. "But we also wanted to develop a better relationship with Tennessee Tech and Furman."
"Yesterday, after the game with Tennessee Tech, I just went over and talked to them. One of the guys from Tennessee Tech even taught me how to tackle. I definitely feel like we could learn a lot from them," said Duncan.
For the past few years, ETSU has been a member of the Carolina Quidditch Conference. However, the Carolina conference considered the sport to be more competitive than social, and the ETSU Quidditch Club decided to switch conferences.
"The CQC tend to play at a rougher level than we do, and a lot of that has to do with our playing style," Mathis said. "We're not as physically aggressive as a lot of the CQC teams."
Recently, ETSU was offered a position in the relatively new Tenntucky conference, a group that includes clubs from both Tennessee and Kentucky.
The conference is made up of teams competing at levels equal to ETSU. Because the ETSU team has been in operation for several years, the conference has considered the university as a location for the Tenntucky Conference Finals. No deal has been formalized.
"ETSU is a great place to put on something like that," said Mathis. "We have all the fields around the CPA, we're in a central location, and we've recently received a lot of the new equipment with money we've received from the BUC Fund."
Consequently, it's likely that ETSU could eventually become a lively hub for local Quidditch competition.
If interested in joining ETSU Quidditch team, practices are twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday, from 9:15 to 11 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!