Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now