Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
- How to Select the Perfect Ceiling Fan
- How to Make Dating Less Difficult Than It Has to Be
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS