Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!