Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy