Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge