Armed robbery investigation underway
Two students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday between Lamb and Sam Wilson halls.
In written statements submitted to Public Safety, Mathew Sigmon, a sophomore with an undeclared major, and Jesse Capps, a sophomore majoring in engineering technology, said that an armed man approached them from behind when they were walking back from Cookout at 1:15 a.m.
Sigmon said that the man told them to empty their pockets, place their belongings on the ground, and turn around and start walking.
"We turned toward the steps that lead up in between John P. Lamb Hall and Hutcheson Hall," Sigmon said in his statement. "I made the phone call to the police right outside the planetarium."
According to the incident report, Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost $65 and a brown wallet that contained both Capp's and his girlfriend's student IDs and a variety of other items.
"[My wallet] had my license, my student ID, my girlfriend's student ID, ... my Social Security card, cash, a couple of pictures of my girlfriend, some tickets and receipts that were souvenirs of important things," Capps said in his written statement.
Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations, said that Public Safety is continuing to investigate the armed robbery.
Three items Capps and Sigmon claim to have lost were redacted from the police report to ensure that news coverage would not interfere with the ongoing investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU screening travelers to countries with known Ebola outbreaks
- ETSU appoints director of Veterans Affairs
- Organizers finalize Sex Week preparations
- ‘Selma’ mirrors controversies in modern America
- Johnson City Community Theatre will hold auditions for RENT Feb. 15 and 16
- Women’s Studies announces spring Women on Wednesdays lineup
- Lady Bucs conquer Lady Terriers, 69-47
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- carpooling, Europe?s No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015