President reaches out to students
Whether he's attending a play presented by the Division of Theatre and Dance or eating lunch with students, ETSU President Brian Noland actively finds ways to connect with the university's student body.
Noland's active involvement with ETSU students ensures that the campus community has ready access to campus leadership.
"He not only interacts with us on a daily basis, but he listens to us," junior Alexandria Quillin said. "That is such an important quality for a leader to have."
One way that Noland connects to the student of ETSU is through "From My Notepads," a segmented video series available for students' viewing. The main topic of each video can vary from the James H. Quillen College of Medicine to the ETSU Arts Initiative, but the underlying theme of the series stays the same.
"The overarching goal of 'From My Notepads' is to open up a line of conversation with students," Noland said.
Noland also makes an effort to attend many events at ETSU, including performances by the Department of Theatre and Dance.
"I try to get involved in as many events as I can," Noland said.
In the past, Noland has participated in playing basketball with students, both on intramural teams and in the CPA.
"From my first week on campus, I tried to get down to the CPA to play basketball," Noland said.
"It gives you a really informal setting to connect with students."
Noland has not been able to play basketball since his car accident in November, but said that he hopes to be able to do so again someday.
"One of the ways I'd like to connect with students is to get back to the classroom," Noland said.
Noland also said that he's toyed with the idea of having a radio show on WETS.
Noland said that his office is dedicated to helping ETSU and hearing their questions and ideas about the institution.
"We're here to serve the students of ETSU," he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'