Study abroad opportunity available
A new study abroad opportunity is available for ETSU students.
ETSU students can now complete a semester at John Cabot University, an American university located in Rome. All of the ETSU-approved courses at John Cabot University are transferrable, and because many of these courses satisfy general education, any student can take advantage of this opportunity.
"What I'm so passionate about and why I'm so excited about this [program] is because we can look at our student body and say, 'This is for all of you,'" said D.J. Roberts-Jessee, lecturer in ETSU's Department of Communication and ETSU-John Cabot University liason.
John Cabot University, located in the heart of Rome, Italy, is an independent four-year liberal arts university. It is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Many general education courses are offered, as well as coursework in majors of advertising/public relations, art history, English, history, international studies, and political science.
Scholarships are available for studying abroad at John Cabot University on a competitive basis, including an ETSU International Education Scholarship for up to $5,000 and special limited scholarships provided by private donors for students with a minimum GPA of 3.25.
"Studying abroad is a life-changing experience and I really hope that ETSU students take advantage of this experience while in college. It becomes more difficult to live overseas after college," Hill said. "I can't tell you how many students and parents have come to see me after they graduated saying they wished they had studied abroad while they had the opportunity in college."
Jessee said that spending a semester studying at a university such as this one can also be helpful in finding employment after college.
"There's kind of a voice rising from employers in the region saying 'the world is going global,'" Jessee said. "Employers want people that have an understanding of the global nature of the world. You can't teach that just in the classroom. We want students to recognize that education is not rooted in the foundation of a certain building, but that it's pretty much got wings."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”