Duke of York Young Champion hopes to go pro
ETSU sophomore, Gudmundur Kristjansson has played gold for 15 years and plans to go pro when he graduates with a degree in physics.
Gudmundur Kristjansson is a 21-year-old sophomore studying physics here at ETSU.
Originally from Reykjavik, Iceland, Kristjansson has been playing golf for about 15 years. "I started playing golf when I was 5 years old," Kristjansson recalls.
After 15 years of playing, he has made some pretty remarkable accomplishments.
In 2010, Kristjansson won the Duke of York Young Champions Trophy. "I feel that winning that champions trophy was my biggest accomplishment in my golf career."
In order to compete for the Duke of York Young Champions Trophy, one needs to already have some substantial wins in the sport already.
So what drew a young, international golf sensation to ETSU?
"ETSU has a great golf program with amazing facilities. Coach [Fred] Warren also had a big role in my decision to play golf for ETSU," Kristjansson said.
Kristjansson is also excited for the chance to play in the NCAA Regionals.
"This is one of my goals for not only me, but the team as well," he said.
The men's golf team is already on track to go to Regionals. "If we play well, we'll have a good chance of going to nationals."
This isn't the only goal Kristjansson has in mind though. "I have multiple goals regarding certain areas of my game for this year," he said.
"At the end of the season, I like to see if I have improved and have met my goals in the sport. If I feel I have improved, then I'll say the season has been a successful one for me."
There is no doubt Kristjansson is passionate for the sport of golf, and graduation from ETSU will not change that, "I am most certainly going to continue playing golf," he said.
In fact, Kristjansson intends to become a pro golfer. With international championships already under his belt, he should have no problem achieving that dream.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!