Clash of the comedies
Want to go out and see the perfect comedy this weekend? Here is my review on two comedies that are out in theaters now. In this Clash of the Comedies, the competitors will be "Identity Thief" and "Movie 43."
"Identity Thief" is about Sandy Patterson's (Jason Bateman) identity getting stolen from the over-indulging eccentric Diana (Melissa McCarthy) prompting him to go on a wild road trip trying to get her to confess her crimes to his boss and get his job back.
"Movie 43" is a movie in which a man is trying to pitch a movie idea to a high-up film executive and gives him all kinds of ideas for movies that involves 10-minute skits, that include stars such as Hugh Jackman, Seth McFarlane, Liev Schreiber, Anna Faris, Emma Stone, Justin Long, ChloÃ Grace Moretz ... the list goes on and on.
The movie itself is about 15 skits - all trying to revolve around one center, loose storyline, and I mean loose.
First is "Identity Thief," which is nothing new as far as this type of comedy is concerned. It involves one character who is considered the "normal one" and the other who is the socially awkward/backward one. Only in this movie they make it about a man who is trying to get his identity back from a thief.
Even though this comedy is far from original, it is entertaining and has funny moments throughout. Sadly enough, the comedy is a bit one-sided with McCarthy being practically the only one delivering all of the laughs. At least with "Due Date" the comedy was coming from not only Zach Galifianakis but Robert Downey Jr. as well.
Despite "Identity Thief's" lack of originality, the movie is worth sitting through, and you will get your laughs worth.
Of all movies coming out this year, when I saw the preview for "Movie 43" I could not have been more excited. A plethora of top-notch actors all getting together to do a big comedy movie is worth getting excited about.
Well, they have done the impossible: they have made a film with some of the best actors in Hollywood and completely and utterly butchered it. How the producers convinced the cast to do this was a miracle in itself - unless they put forth a good amount of money.
All the skits in "Movie 43" feel as if they were all written by an adolescent teen boy. "Movie 43" tried its best to make the movie as vulgar as possible but forgot to make it funny.
I will say this though, even though "Movie 43" was a complete failure, the skit about Liev Schreiber homeschooling his son and making sure that his son got all of the negative aspects of high school was the only skit really worth watching.
My analysis is this: when you compare "Movie 43" and "Identity Thief," the clear winner of the Clash of the Comedies is "Identity Thief."
Although I did not find "Identity Thief" amazing, it still is funny and, for the most part, entertaining, whereas "Movie 43" is a pathetic attempt at a comedy film, not because all of the actors are just bad in it, but the movie itself is so badly written.
My only guess as to why it is called "Movie 43" is that maybe it only took them 43 minutes to write.
I give "Movie 43" a half-star out of 5 stars and Identity Thief 3-and-a-half stars out of 5 stars.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR