University participates in recycling competition
ETSU will be participating in the nationwide 2014 RecycleMania Tournament.
The tournament is an eight-week competition and benchmarking tool for colleges and universities that allows higher education recycling programs the opportunity to better understand the amount of recycling and waste their colleges or universities produce.
The tournament will be held from Feb. 2-March 29.
Outside of acting as a means for recycling programs to compare themselves to similar programs, the tournament also gives college and university recycling programs the opportunity to promote waste-reducing activities on their campuses. Colleges and universities will be ranked based on the amount of recycling and waste they collect each week.
Through the updated weekly ranking, participating schools will be able to follow their performance against other schools and use the results to promote and rally their campuswide recycling effort.
In addition to participating in RecycleMania, the university hosts a recycling competition for residence halls.
RecycleMania has gathered support from many students on campus.
"I, personally, try to continuously recycle, but the RecycleMania event is a great thing in my opinion," sophomore Chris McCollum said. "Anything promoting a cleaner greener lifestyle here on campus is fantastic."
While some students plan to participate in the event, others seem to know very little about it.
"To be perfectly honest, I didn't know that RecycleMania was even taking place," freshman Connor Shedd said. "It sounds like a great competition for our school to be involved in, but as someone who doesn't currently live on campus, it doesn't concern me at all, and I'll probably participate sparingly, if at all."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”