University participates in recycling competition
ETSU will be participating in the nationwide 2014 RecycleMania Tournament.
The tournament is an eight-week competition and benchmarking tool for colleges and universities that allows higher education recycling programs the opportunity to better understand the amount of recycling and waste their colleges or universities produce.
The tournament will be held from Feb. 2-March 29.
Outside of acting as a means for recycling programs to compare themselves to similar programs, the tournament also gives college and university recycling programs the opportunity to promote waste-reducing activities on their campuses. Colleges and universities will be ranked based on the amount of recycling and waste they collect each week.
Through the updated weekly ranking, participating schools will be able to follow their performance against other schools and use the results to promote and rally their campuswide recycling effort.
In addition to participating in RecycleMania, the university hosts a recycling competition for residence halls.
RecycleMania has gathered support from many students on campus.
"I, personally, try to continuously recycle, but the RecycleMania event is a great thing in my opinion," sophomore Chris McCollum said. "Anything promoting a cleaner greener lifestyle here on campus is fantastic."
While some students plan to participate in the event, others seem to know very little about it.
"To be perfectly honest, I didn't know that RecycleMania was even taking place," freshman Connor Shedd said. "It sounds like a great competition for our school to be involved in, but as someone who doesn't currently live on campus, it doesn't concern me at all, and I'll probably participate sparingly, if at all."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge