Michael Sam's coming out welcome in the world of sports
I have stayed away from the Michael Sam story because I felt that so many people were discussing it and the need for my input was really not necessary.
With all due respect to the mainstream media and most of the rest of the world talking about this story, they are getting the story wrong.
People have been talking about this by looking forward, saying that the amazing thing is that he will become the first gay NFL football player.
They have been fretting about where he will be drafted, and what team will take the risk of bringing him into their fold.
There are two mostly ignored parts to this story. First and foremost, the story should be that Sam is succeeding at life.
Sam is teaching the rest of the world the true meaning of bravery. He is saying to the world, "This is me and I am going to live my life. Accept me as I am, or don't, either way I don't care." I have an immense amount of respect for this young man, and I wish him well in the next chapter of his life.
There is also another part of this story that should be talked about. Some six months ago, Michael Sam revealed that he was gay to his Missouri teammates. What happened next IS the story. Missouri accepted him as one of their own, and respected his privacy while he played what was to be his final year at the school.
The people who are wringing their hands and fretting about his future prospects are ignoring the fact that he has already been accepted among his most important peer group to date.
There is every reason to believe that he will find acceptance at the next level, based simply on the fact that he has already done so at his current level. THIS is the story here.
What happened on that Missouri campus is nothing short of ground breaking and amazing. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 people (80-plus fellow players, all of the administrative people, and others on campus) accepted him into their team and school with open arms.
Bravo Michael Sam, you have already won, and I for one am fascinated to watch you continue winning in the future.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU officials say university will focus on preventing sexual assaults
- University selects new dean of students
- Ohio parents’ beliefs cost daughter her life
- SGA president discusses issues of importance
- ‘Do One Thing’ helps environment; monument meant to inspire students to...
- Guest pianist Myer will play at ETSU
- Lady Bucs are 3-0 in conference with win against UNCG Spartans
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World