Michael Sam's coming out welcome in the world of sports
I have stayed away from the Michael Sam story because I felt that so many people were discussing it and the need for my input was really not necessary.
With all due respect to the mainstream media and most of the rest of the world talking about this story, they are getting the story wrong.
People have been talking about this by looking forward, saying that the amazing thing is that he will become the first gay NFL football player.
They have been fretting about where he will be drafted, and what team will take the risk of bringing him into their fold.
There are two mostly ignored parts to this story. First and foremost, the story should be that Sam is succeeding at life.
Sam is teaching the rest of the world the true meaning of bravery. He is saying to the world, "This is me and I am going to live my life. Accept me as I am, or don't, either way I don't care." I have an immense amount of respect for this young man, and I wish him well in the next chapter of his life.
There is also another part of this story that should be talked about. Some six months ago, Michael Sam revealed that he was gay to his Missouri teammates. What happened next IS the story. Missouri accepted him as one of their own, and respected his privacy while he played what was to be his final year at the school.
The people who are wringing their hands and fretting about his future prospects are ignoring the fact that he has already been accepted among his most important peer group to date.
There is every reason to believe that he will find acceptance at the next level, based simply on the fact that he has already done so at his current level. THIS is the story here.
What happened on that Missouri campus is nothing short of ground breaking and amazing. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 people (80-plus fellow players, all of the administrative people, and others on campus) accepted him into their team and school with open arms.
Bravo Michael Sam, you have already won, and I for one am fascinated to watch you continue winning in the future.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone