Little Bucs will receive $150K from student fee
The ETSU Little Buccaneers program, through the recent Student Government Association-approved $5 student fee, expects to receive $150,000 per fiscal year.
"Parents currently pay $6 an hour for a preschool-age child and $7 an hour for an infant or toddler," said Nikki Dolan, coordinator of the Little Buccaneers program. "The grant assisted in reducing this hourly cost by $2 or $3 per hour. We anticipate the new funding will greatly reduce the hourly cost of child care."
The revenue the program will receive from this fee will supplement the income the program lost when the program was not renewed for the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant, which provided about $100,000 per year.
Several academic departments utilize the Little Buccaneers program as a means of giving their students experience in the field.
"Little Bucs affects student families as well as assists the academic community by serving as a laboratory facility for many campus programs, including education, speech-language pathology, physical therapy, etc.," Dolan said.
Dolan said that when the program lost the CCAMPIS grant, families who take advantage of the program were worried that the loss of the grant would result in high childcare costs.
"Little Bucs plays a huge role in the lives of ETSU students with young children," Dolan said. "Families are able to attend classes with the knowledge that their child is in a quality setting, which is within such close proximity. Many Little Bucs families have stated that without the program, they would not have successfully completed degrees."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR