Little Bucs will receive $150K from student fee
The ETSU Little Buccaneers program, through the recent Student Government Association-approved $5 student fee, expects to receive $150,000 per fiscal year.
"Parents currently pay $6 an hour for a preschool-age child and $7 an hour for an infant or toddler," said Nikki Dolan, coordinator of the Little Buccaneers program. "The grant assisted in reducing this hourly cost by $2 or $3 per hour. We anticipate the new funding will greatly reduce the hourly cost of child care."
The revenue the program will receive from this fee will supplement the income the program lost when the program was not renewed for the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant, which provided about $100,000 per year.
Several academic departments utilize the Little Buccaneers program as a means of giving their students experience in the field.
"Little Bucs affects student families as well as assists the academic community by serving as a laboratory facility for many campus programs, including education, speech-language pathology, physical therapy, etc.," Dolan said.
Dolan said that when the program lost the CCAMPIS grant, families who take advantage of the program were worried that the loss of the grant would result in high childcare costs.
"Little Bucs plays a huge role in the lives of ETSU students with young children," Dolan said. "Families are able to attend classes with the knowledge that their child is in a quality setting, which is within such close proximity. Many Little Bucs families have stated that without the program, they would not have successfully completed degrees."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!