Little Bucs will receive $150K from student fee
The ETSU Little Buccaneers program, through the recent Student Government Association-approved $5 student fee, expects to receive $150,000 per fiscal year.
"Parents currently pay $6 an hour for a preschool-age child and $7 an hour for an infant or toddler," said Nikki Dolan, coordinator of the Little Buccaneers program. "The grant assisted in reducing this hourly cost by $2 or $3 per hour. We anticipate the new funding will greatly reduce the hourly cost of child care."
The revenue the program will receive from this fee will supplement the income the program lost when the program was not renewed for the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant, which provided about $100,000 per year.
Several academic departments utilize the Little Buccaneers program as a means of giving their students experience in the field.
"Little Bucs affects student families as well as assists the academic community by serving as a laboratory facility for many campus programs, including education, speech-language pathology, physical therapy, etc.," Dolan said.
Dolan said that when the program lost the CCAMPIS grant, families who take advantage of the program were worried that the loss of the grant would result in high childcare costs.
"Little Bucs plays a huge role in the lives of ETSU students with young children," Dolan said. "Families are able to attend classes with the knowledge that their child is in a quality setting, which is within such close proximity. Many Little Bucs families have stated that without the program, they would not have successfully completed degrees."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Online magazine promotes healthy habits
- Buctainment co-sponsorship of campus events garners greater event attention
- Charles Towne Belles inspires faith
- New exhibitions coming to Reece
- Club soccer team begins at ETSU
- Oshoniyi coaches in 2015 adidas MLS Combine
- I ate my roommate’s girlfriend’s candy, he cried
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor