Little Bucs will receive $150K from student fee
The ETSU Little Buccaneers program, through the recent Student Government Association-approved $5 student fee, expects to receive $150,000 per fiscal year.
"Parents currently pay $6 an hour for a preschool-age child and $7 an hour for an infant or toddler," said Nikki Dolan, coordinator of the Little Buccaneers program. "The grant assisted in reducing this hourly cost by $2 or $3 per hour. We anticipate the new funding will greatly reduce the hourly cost of child care."
The revenue the program will receive from this fee will supplement the income the program lost when the program was not renewed for the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant, which provided about $100,000 per year.
Several academic departments utilize the Little Buccaneers program as a means of giving their students experience in the field.
"Little Bucs affects student families as well as assists the academic community by serving as a laboratory facility for many campus programs, including education, speech-language pathology, physical therapy, etc.," Dolan said.
Dolan said that when the program lost the CCAMPIS grant, families who take advantage of the program were worried that the loss of the grant would result in high childcare costs.
"Little Bucs plays a huge role in the lives of ETSU students with young children," Dolan said. "Families are able to attend classes with the knowledge that their child is in a quality setting, which is within such close proximity. Many Little Bucs families have stated that without the program, they would not have successfully completed degrees."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge