Little Bucs will receive $150K from student fee
The ETSU Little Buccaneers program, through the recent Student Government Association-approved $5 student fee, expects to receive $150,000 per fiscal year.
"Parents currently pay $6 an hour for a preschool-age child and $7 an hour for an infant or toddler," said Nikki Dolan, coordinator of the Little Buccaneers program. "The grant assisted in reducing this hourly cost by $2 or $3 per hour. We anticipate the new funding will greatly reduce the hourly cost of child care."
The revenue the program will receive from this fee will supplement the income the program lost when the program was not renewed for the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant, which provided about $100,000 per year.
Several academic departments utilize the Little Buccaneers program as a means of giving their students experience in the field.
"Little Bucs affects student families as well as assists the academic community by serving as a laboratory facility for many campus programs, including education, speech-language pathology, physical therapy, etc.," Dolan said.
Dolan said that when the program lost the CCAMPIS grant, families who take advantage of the program were worried that the loss of the grant would result in high childcare costs.
"Little Bucs plays a huge role in the lives of ETSU students with young children," Dolan said. "Families are able to attend classes with the knowledge that their child is in a quality setting, which is within such close proximity. Many Little Bucs families have stated that without the program, they would not have successfully completed degrees."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 6 Tips for Planning Your Wedding Photos Like a Pro
- High OCTANe Event Comes to Calif., Brings Businesses,...
- A Novel Innovation Hub for Africa
- Want a Cleaner Home? Easy-to-Clean Carpeting Is Key
- Bee Safe While Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Military Seeks Better Alternatives for Treating Pain...
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NYT Bestselling Author Martin Yate's Book for Graduates
- Deadline Approaching for Scholarship Program Benefitting First-Year Law Students
- HEROES OF THE DORM™: THE UC BERKELEY GOLDEN BEARS ARE HEROES OF THE STORM™ COLLEGIATE CHAMPIONS
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease