Winston's path as a two-sport pro
College football standout Jameis Winston didn't just see the BCS National Championship victory over Auburn as an end to football season.
He also saw it as the start of the baseball season.
The 2013 Heisman Trophy winner plays baseball for the Florida State Seminoles as well.
Monday, Winston was in Texas to accept the Davey O'Brien Award for being the nation's top college quarterback.
While there, he was able to stop by AT&T Stadium in Dallas.
That is the site of the season opener for the FSU football team as they try to defend their title in 2014 against Oklahoma State.
That is also the site of the first ever playoff game for college football.
Winston said that the slogan for the football season will be "from Dallas to Dallas" in reference to both starting and ending the season there.
However, that isn't even on the QB's radar at the moment because he has a full season to play on the diamond.
Winston hopes to help the diamond 'Noles to their first ever baseball championship this season.
FSU has made the trip to Nebraska 21 times to play in the College World Series but has never came away victorious.
When asked about this, Winston said that "it would mean a lot" to win a championship for the great baseball fans that the Seminoles have.
Not only does the star athlete want to add a CWS championship to his football championship, he wants to go on to play professional football and baseball.
As one could imagine, this is no easy task. Fewer than 70 athletes have ever accomplished the feat of playing in the NFL and the MLB. Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders are two names that stand out on the list of doing it.
Before people call him crazy, Winston was drafted out of high school by the Texas Rangers in the 12th round.
So, the most challenging part of it for him may not be talent but rather time. He claims that he won't miss any spring practices for football, but that will be very difficult to accomplish if the baseball team makes it very far in the postseason.
The spring and summer will be extremely busy for the standout as one season will be wrapping up while one is just starting.
Winston said that he was "really going to have to study" in the summer in order to catch up with football as the team will have already watched a lot of film in the offseason.
Even with that, he said that it is his "dream" to play both sports professionally regardless of what it takes.
Currently, Winston and the baseball team opened up their season last Friday against Niagara.
He had a pinch-hit appearance and drew a walk. Saturday, he pitched the final two innings to record a save in the victory.
During last year's campaign, he went 1-2 on the mound with two saves and a 3.00 ERA. Winston is also a position player who hit .235 and drove in nine runs.
It is a long season and he will be crunched for time but with improvement on the diamond, Jameis Winston may just become a professional athlete in two sports.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections