Winston's path as a two-sport pro
College football standout Jameis Winston didn't just see the BCS National Championship victory over Auburn as an end to football season.
He also saw it as the start of the baseball season.
The 2013 Heisman Trophy winner plays baseball for the Florida State Seminoles as well.
Monday, Winston was in Texas to accept the Davey O'Brien Award for being the nation's top college quarterback.
While there, he was able to stop by AT&T Stadium in Dallas.
That is the site of the season opener for the FSU football team as they try to defend their title in 2014 against Oklahoma State.
That is also the site of the first ever playoff game for college football.
Winston said that the slogan for the football season will be "from Dallas to Dallas" in reference to both starting and ending the season there.
However, that isn't even on the QB's radar at the moment because he has a full season to play on the diamond.
Winston hopes to help the diamond 'Noles to their first ever baseball championship this season.
FSU has made the trip to Nebraska 21 times to play in the College World Series but has never came away victorious.
When asked about this, Winston said that "it would mean a lot" to win a championship for the great baseball fans that the Seminoles have.
Not only does the star athlete want to add a CWS championship to his football championship, he wants to go on to play professional football and baseball.
As one could imagine, this is no easy task. Fewer than 70 athletes have ever accomplished the feat of playing in the NFL and the MLB. Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders are two names that stand out on the list of doing it.
Before people call him crazy, Winston was drafted out of high school by the Texas Rangers in the 12th round.
So, the most challenging part of it for him may not be talent but rather time. He claims that he won't miss any spring practices for football, but that will be very difficult to accomplish if the baseball team makes it very far in the postseason.
The spring and summer will be extremely busy for the standout as one season will be wrapping up while one is just starting.
Winston said that he was "really going to have to study" in the summer in order to catch up with football as the team will have already watched a lot of film in the offseason.
Even with that, he said that it is his "dream" to play both sports professionally regardless of what it takes.
Currently, Winston and the baseball team opened up their season last Friday against Niagara.
He had a pinch-hit appearance and drew a walk. Saturday, he pitched the final two innings to record a save in the victory.
During last year's campaign, he went 1-2 on the mound with two saves and a 3.00 ERA. Winston is also a position player who hit .235 and drove in nine runs.
It is a long season and he will be crunched for time but with improvement on the diamond, Jameis Winston may just become a professional athlete in two sports.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists