Winston's path as a two-sport pro
College football standout Jameis Winston didn't just see the BCS National Championship victory over Auburn as an end to football season.
He also saw it as the start of the baseball season.
The 2013 Heisman Trophy winner plays baseball for the Florida State Seminoles as well.
Monday, Winston was in Texas to accept the Davey O'Brien Award for being the nation's top college quarterback.
While there, he was able to stop by AT&T Stadium in Dallas.
That is the site of the season opener for the FSU football team as they try to defend their title in 2014 against Oklahoma State.
That is also the site of the first ever playoff game for college football.
Winston said that the slogan for the football season will be "from Dallas to Dallas" in reference to both starting and ending the season there.
However, that isn't even on the QB's radar at the moment because he has a full season to play on the diamond.
Winston hopes to help the diamond 'Noles to their first ever baseball championship this season.
FSU has made the trip to Nebraska 21 times to play in the College World Series but has never came away victorious.
When asked about this, Winston said that "it would mean a lot" to win a championship for the great baseball fans that the Seminoles have.
Not only does the star athlete want to add a CWS championship to his football championship, he wants to go on to play professional football and baseball.
As one could imagine, this is no easy task. Fewer than 70 athletes have ever accomplished the feat of playing in the NFL and the MLB. Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders are two names that stand out on the list of doing it.
Before people call him crazy, Winston was drafted out of high school by the Texas Rangers in the 12th round.
So, the most challenging part of it for him may not be talent but rather time. He claims that he won't miss any spring practices for football, but that will be very difficult to accomplish if the baseball team makes it very far in the postseason.
The spring and summer will be extremely busy for the standout as one season will be wrapping up while one is just starting.
Winston said that he was "really going to have to study" in the summer in order to catch up with football as the team will have already watched a lot of film in the offseason.
Even with that, he said that it is his "dream" to play both sports professionally regardless of what it takes.
Currently, Winston and the baseball team opened up their season last Friday against Niagara.
He had a pinch-hit appearance and drew a walk. Saturday, he pitched the final two innings to record a save in the victory.
During last year's campaign, he went 1-2 on the mound with two saves and a 3.00 ERA. Winston is also a position player who hit .235 and drove in nine runs.
It is a long season and he will be crunched for time but with improvement on the diamond, Jameis Winston may just become a professional athlete in two sports.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR