Former professor returns
She protested policies on coal miners, sat in front of coal trucks, and was fired from East Tennessee State University.
After 40 years, Helen Matthews Lewis has returned to campus to discuss her book of writings.
"I guess I was just in the right place at the right time for that," Lewis said. "But I was there and had several people who believed in better rights for coal miners, so we just sat down in front of the tow trucks."
Lewis, who was released from ETSU for "nurturing radical students," was one of a two teachers the university removed during the late '60s and early '70s.
The other teacher who was removed, Ed Knipe, was a tenured professor in the sociology department at the time.
A few people were outraged at the way ETSU was treating their employees, and several publications were started to reflect these feelings.
"I remember one was called 'The Frigot," Lewis said. "Their motto was, 'If you don't like it, frigot.' And I liked that one."
After she was released from the university, Lewis wrote a letter to the editor to The Pirate Press, the forerunner of the East Tennessean, that cleared up the way she thought about her removal.
"The university is not a business," Lewis said in the letter. "It is an institution with the purpose of educating students, which includes ... liberating minds and encouraging free and critical thinking."
Apart from educating the young minds enrolled in her sociology class, Lewis' main cause was a fight for the families of coal miners.
At the time, miners didn't receive any extra insurance or pensions, and were fairly low paid. Lewis fought for a tax on coal that supported coal industry workers.
Her book, "Living Social Justice in America," Lewis talks about the struggles and strides she made in social issues within the Appalachian region.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists