Softball begins practice
Preparations for the 2013 ETSU softball season began on Monday as the Lady Bucs opened fall practice at Betty Basler Field.
The Lady Bucs will have five weeks of full team practice which includes eight home games. ETSU's first double header of the fall starts with Mars Hill on Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. Then the Lady Bucs will play a mid-week twinbill against Walter State on Oct. 2.
The Blue and Gold's final weekend doubleheader takes place on Oct. 6 versus Tusculum and will wrap up the fall season with a pair of mid-week games against Milligan on Oct. 11.
Overall, the Lady Bucs return five of their top six hitters from 2012, including Casey Horner (Whitesburg, Tenn.), Tara Hartnett (Snellville, Ga.), Alex Everett (Soddy Daisy, Tenn.), Sam Lower (Sebring, Fla.) and Haley Thompson (Nicholson, Ga.). Horner led the 2012 squad with a .316 batting average, 24 RBIs, seven homers and a .411 on base percentage. Hartnett posted a second best .315 batting average and a .361 on base percentage. Everett and Horner are the only returners that played in 48 games and made at least 46 starts.
In the circle, the Lady Bucs return top pitcher Katie Wolff (LaGrange, Texas) and add significant depth to the pitching staff with four new arms, including Sam Harrell (Okeechobee, Fla), Kendra Roberts (Marietta, S.C.), Shaylyn Wood (Beacon, N.Y.) and Elliana Cabrera (Hayden Ariz.). Wolff led last year's staff with 24 starts, 15 complete games, 140.2 innings pitched and 75 strikeouts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?