Softball begins practice
Preparations for the 2013 ETSU softball season began on Monday as the Lady Bucs opened fall practice at Betty Basler Field.
The Lady Bucs will have five weeks of full team practice which includes eight home games. ETSU's first double header of the fall starts with Mars Hill on Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. Then the Lady Bucs will play a mid-week twinbill against Walter State on Oct. 2.
The Blue and Gold's final weekend doubleheader takes place on Oct. 6 versus Tusculum and will wrap up the fall season with a pair of mid-week games against Milligan on Oct. 11.
Overall, the Lady Bucs return five of their top six hitters from 2012, including Casey Horner (Whitesburg, Tenn.), Tara Hartnett (Snellville, Ga.), Alex Everett (Soddy Daisy, Tenn.), Sam Lower (Sebring, Fla.) and Haley Thompson (Nicholson, Ga.). Horner led the 2012 squad with a .316 batting average, 24 RBIs, seven homers and a .411 on base percentage. Hartnett posted a second best .315 batting average and a .361 on base percentage. Everett and Horner are the only returners that played in 48 games and made at least 46 starts.
In the circle, the Lady Bucs return top pitcher Katie Wolff (LaGrange, Texas) and add significant depth to the pitching staff with four new arms, including Sam Harrell (Okeechobee, Fla), Kendra Roberts (Marietta, S.C.), Shaylyn Wood (Beacon, N.Y.) and Elliana Cabrera (Hayden Ariz.). Wolff led last year's staff with 24 starts, 15 complete games, 140.2 innings pitched and 75 strikeouts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses